UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Jan 2011, 9:29 pm   #1
mrmagnetophon
Retired Dormant Member

Default Fixing Ampex 354

I have a schematic for my Ampex 354, although I'm trying to figure it out, it says db in reference to .78 volts for the VTVM, so can I just ignore that number and calibrate the VTVM like normal and use it to find the db? or do I have to calibrate .78 on the VTVM, 15 volts is 0 db on the VTVM though?
Old 25th Jan 2011, 9:18 pm   #2
mrmagnetophon
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Fixing ampex 354

Got that part figured out, but im trying to figure out why no sound comes out of my ampex 354.
Old 27th Jan 2011, 6:24 am   #3
EMI BTR 3
Tetrode

Have you got the manual and not just the schematics? The manual is very comprehensive with regards to troubleshooting (as an owner of a mega-modified 354 myself, I can attest to this).

Please give more detailed information as to how you have the machine connected and the controls set, what's plugged into the pair of sockets on the chassis near the input jacks, etc.
Old 10th Feb 2012, 9:32 am   #4
Jeff West
Retired Dormant Member

I have been looking for an ampex 354 manual with no results
Old 10th Feb 2012, 7:55 pm   #5
mrmagnetophon
Retired Dormant Member

I've got a binder with the manual and schematics. PM me I can print one for cost if you would like.

-Chris
Old 20th May 2012, 6:07 am   #6
mrmagnetophon
Retired Dormant Member

OK so I'm back to work on this machine, completely recapped it and now when I turned it up real slow using the variac I heard a pop, which was from a spark of some sort.
When I first tried the machine out many years ago I had a spark across one of the cap solder joints on the board, I think its probably the same spot now.

What should I do?

And is it safe to just turn it back on and let it go for awhile to check things out?

I'm trying to figure it out but I've replaced just about everything now and it's getting so costly.

Chris
Old 22nd May 2012, 5:24 am   #7
mrmagnetophon
Retired Dormant Member

After letting it spark and doing some more testing, I isolated the problem is in the left side, either bias oscillator portions or microphone preamp portions.
-Chris
Old 23rd May 2012, 6:00 am   #8
mrmagnetophon
Retired Dormant Member

Well it looks like I have cured most of the faults, or maybe all.
Now I have to plug it into a amplifier, problem is my speakers are RCA unbalanced, and the ampex is balanced. Can I make a balanced to unbalanced cable, for the outputs?
In most cases it's fine to do so, but with valve equipment I am not sure.

Or is it better to run the xlr into the mic input on my mixer?

-Chris

Last edited by mrmagnetophon; 23rd May 2012 at 6:28 am.
Old 23rd May 2012, 7:28 am   #9
TIMTAPE
Octode

Depends on what load it is supposed to look at.

You'd need to reduce the gain on your mic preamp so it's happy with a line level input. Usually you turn the channel strip trim control fully anticlockwise and if there's a further 20db attenuation switch, engage that too. Generally a line level signal is 50 to 60db bigger than a mic level signal. That's about 1000times.
Old 25th May 2012, 12:18 am   #10
EMI BTR 3
Tetrode

There are TRS headphone output jacks on the 354 electronics which come from the cathode followers pre-output transformers. The left jack is wired in the standard configuration, tip left channel, ring right channel; the right jack is the reverse, tip right, ring left, thus accomodating very early stereo phones with two separate TS plugs.
Old 25th May 2012, 6:03 am   #11
mrmagnetophon
Retired Dormant Member

Right, I've got it playing back, haven't tested recording yet.
-Chris
Old 13th Jul 2012, 12:34 am   #12
GloryMorris
Retired Dormant Member

I've been looking for 354 Schematics desperately for about a month. I have a client that dropped one off asking that I restore it. Can I get a copy as well?
Closed Thread