UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Aug 2019, 12:56 pm   #21
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

Default Re: Henley Solon iron

I have a Henley Solon 25 watt soldering-iron that gets occasional use on valve equipment where the tip isn't too bulky. A member of this forum provided a brand-new tip a while ago. Ages ago, I read something about placing a shim of suitably-sized aluminium foil between the tip and the aluminium tip-holder when replacing the tip. This prevents the build-up of crud and subsequent seizing of the bit, but I think occasional removal is also a good idea.

Colin.
Old 17th Aug 2019, 7:57 pm   #22
Raptornet
Triode

Might keep hold of the case and see if I can get my hands on some better insides
Old 17th Aug 2019, 9:36 pm   #23
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I had one of their 15W 'precision' irons in times-past, but just like its Dee-Gee and Wolf equivalents the bit seized into the heater-part and trying to drill the snapped-off remains was a path-to-failuire.

[I also had an Enthoven "Superspeed" iron which used a carbon heater-element which got crazily-hot within five seconds of pressing the power-on ring]

Personally, I'd treat Solons, Dee-gees and Wolfs as interesting antiques rather than something I would use in everyday radio-repair operations. The world's moved-on, and now we have temperature-controlled soldering-stations that can deliver 50W of heat when-needed but control this to within +/- 25 Centigrade.
Old 18th Aug 2019, 7:09 pm   #24
Denis G4DWC
Pentode

I have both a Solon and an Adcola but in my case these are both 12v irons that I keep in my two old toy cars just in case something needs soldering They are both in pretty good condition.

Denis
Old 22nd Aug 2019, 2:21 am   #25
usradcoll1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrymagrec View Post
My Dad had one of those big Solons but after many years of occasional use the casing round the element rust through and he chucked it.

He also had a couple of the Adcolas but dispensed with them when a Weller became available.
Is the Weller you're referring to a gun or an iron?
I always thought a Weller soldering gun is the greatest thing ever! No soldering iron burns or damage. It cools almost immediately. I use one almost every day.
Best regards, Dave US radcoll1.
Old 27th Aug 2019, 10:07 pm   #26
Raptornet
Triode

The Weller my dad has is a gun and I love it, I’ve used it for fine work but recently read they aren’t supposed to be suited to such work. Though I’ve never had any trouble
Old 29th Aug 2019, 3:26 pm   #27
Andrew B
Heptode

Heater Cathode Short: Bulging Cap: I also have one of the TBB's, cost me £2 from a car booty, excellent for model aircraft undercarriages and battery pack building.

Andrew
Old 29th Aug 2019, 4:11 pm   #28
ionburn
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptornet View Post
The Weller my dad has is a gun and I love it, I’ve used it for fine work but recently read they aren’t supposed to be suited to such work. Though I’ve never had any trouble
In a previous job many years ago we used Weller guns all the time. They were ideal for general repairs as they were safer and for home visits there was no waiting time for things to cool. They had their issues, like poor heatup if the contacts were not good, and the tip tended to burnout at the worst moment (twisting the ends together was not very effective but could get you out a jam). All this was before static sensitivity became a big concern. I don't know how they would fare there. It was readily possible to use for much fine work but a normal fine tip iron was a better option.
Old 29th Aug 2019, 4:22 pm   #29
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I have seen an even bigger Solon quite recently but I cannot remember where! Absolutely massive. J.
Old 29th Aug 2019, 4:29 pm   #30
OldTechFan96
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
I have seen an even bigger Solon quite recently but I cannot remember where! Absolutely massive. J.
The 240W Solon might be what you are thinking of. They measure about 18'' long! And heavy too.
Old 30th Aug 2019, 3:26 pm   #31
ionburn
Heptode

On impulse I have just had a quick look around and found my 65W 110/120V Solon iron. I have not used it for years, although it looks good, the lead looking as good a new. It's unusual these days to come across an iron with wooden handle.
Old 31st Aug 2019, 6:03 am   #32
BulgingCap
Pentode

Andrew B: It's very many years since I wound fuse wire around lengths of piano wire to make undercart for a Kielcraft Ladybird etc... memories.

I had forgotten this story until today: I used to work for long periods in the former Soviet Union. We were banned from using any local airline so often rented private jets. I was never happy with this arrangement as the Antonov 24s etc had a ready supply of spares lined up along the taxiways at most civilian airports, whereas the LearJets and Dassaults were extremely rare. We were delayed one day due to a illuminated warning light. It was getting late in the day and I helped the engineer with the huge French manual as he didn't read French and I did. I think he found a wire fault, so called for a soldering iron. After a long delay his assistant reappeared with what I can only describe as a cricket bat with a mains lead. We both burst out laughing. I don't recall whether the fault was fixed or not before we departed.
BC
Closed Thread