UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Jun 2019, 11:27 am   #1
Phantomrose1999
Hexode

Default Grundig TK14 Record Problem Fixed.

I got another one, a beautiful two tone TK14, and while it played, it did not record well. Two problems.

1) Not erasing the previous contents
2) New content very heavily distorted.

Short answer

1) A dry joint at near the Erase head, prevented the bias signal reaching the Erase head, thus not Erasing the previous content.

2) There seemed to be a very high voltage going to the Record / Playback head, which was saturating the head and causing distortion. It took a while to figure this out, but in the end just adjusing C19, until i got around 15 volts at the Record / Play back head got it recording beautifuilly

There are many CRO video's as i went through the process of fixing it. Hope these video show others what they should get at the Record / Playback and Erase heads for a Grunding Reel to Reel to record properly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nuEoxr7azw

The above is Part 1, there are 4 parts in total.
Old 2nd Jul 2019, 11:46 am   #2
martin.m
Hexode

Default Re: Grundig TK14 Record Problem Fixed.

Well done on getting the TK14 working again, they are well engineered machines and don't usually suffer from leaky capacitors like some of the 1950s Grundigs. No erase and distorted recordings are symptoms of the bias oscillator not running. In the UK there doesn't seem to be a huge interest in domestic tape recorders but I love them. As a teenager in the 60s, all my music was on reels of tape. Four LPs on a five and three quarter inch reel, mono of course.

Last edited by martin.m; 2nd Jul 2019 at 11:49 am. Reason: Clarity
Old 5th Jul 2019, 8:12 pm   #3
Ray_Singh
Pentode

I have just dug out my old Grundig TK14 out of my loft on reading your thread. Its been up there for 15 years and i didnt have good hopes for it.

It fired up straight away and plays lovely. The only thing that has stopped working is the "Magic Eye", but if i press on the plastic body just above the magic eye, it works.

I will investigate.

A lovely machine.
Old 8th Jul 2019, 6:20 am   #4
ricard
Octode

Sounds like a bad connection in the corresponding valve socket. Should be an easy fix.
Closed Thread