UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Jun 2019, 6:18 pm   #1
leorecording
Retired Dormant Member

Default TEAC A3340 needing TLC

I have a TEAC A3340 4-channel simul-sync tape machine which is no longer fully functional. This machine was purchased in 1973 and is the forerunner of the A3340S, the main differences being in the transport controls. Can anyone tell me whether they think it's worth getting it refurbished, bearing in mind the small demand for analogue tape machines and the number of machines of this type which seem to be available on the second-hand market?
Old 28th Jun 2019, 7:57 pm   #2
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Default Re: TEAC A3340 needing TLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by leorecording View Post
I have a TEAC A3340 4-channel simul-sync tape machine which is no longer fully functional. This machine was purchased in 1973 and is the forerunner of the A3340S, the main differences being in the transport controls. Can anyone tell me whether they think it's worth getting it refurbished, bearing in mind the small demand for analogue tape machines and the number of machines of this type which seem to be available on the second-hand market?
Depends on what you want to do with it - they're decent enough machines when working, and fetch a few hundred on auction sites if you're lucky. Demand for good open reel machines has passed its nadir of a decade ago, so it would find a home if you want to pass it on. If the heads are good, most other faults can be rectified.
Old 28th Jun 2019, 11:04 pm   #3
GeoffB17
Tetrode

I have one of these too, purchased new 1974. Mine still works, just about, the only problem is the pinch roller mechanism which needs a little manual assistance to engage due to dried up grease. Once engaged, things run fine. Still sounds great.

As noted, depends on what you want to do. If you're just interested in recording, then you'd prob be better with a modern digital device, there are now 4 channel units from Yamaha, TASCAM and others. But the A3340 will look so much more impressive!!

If you have existing recordings you want to play, then you'll have to get the unit working.

Note that new tapes are pretty expensive, £40 or more each (10.5" metal spools), but they ARE still available new.

Check out the Tapeheads forum, there are people there well familiar with this machine (and the closely related TEAC models) who can advise on most of the common problems. Seems like the machine is pretty easy to get back to full spec, or even better.

Geoff
Old 28th Jun 2019, 11:48 pm   #4
TIMTAPE
Octode

The most common problems with a range of Teac machines are a perished belt and sticking pinch roller arm. Also sticking tape lifters and sticking pinch roller bearing. These arent too difficult to fix but more troublesome is corroded motherboard printed tracks due to dust and moisture from failure to cover the top vents when the machine is not in use. Repairing these tracks can take a lot of time. Solid and reliable decks - if not abused.
Old 29th Jun 2019, 8:51 am   #5
leorecording
Retired Dormant Member

Many thanks for the replies. I have no real need for this machine - I'm recording digitally these days - but I don't want to chuck it in the waste bin if it's worth refurbishing. I have plenty of spare tapes. Alternatively it could be used as spares. The problems are - channel 1 not functioning at all, and no take-up or back torque when in play mode. Otherwise it records and plays on the remaining 3 channels. Fast forward and rewind is fine, although the brakes are too sharp. Needs a good home and some TLC! Anyone interested?
Old 29th Jun 2019, 9:18 am   #6
Station X

I suggest you post in the Sets and Parts Offered section with a few pictures and a price.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 29th Jun 2019, 11:29 am   #7
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

It's a bit of a dilemma Leo but perhaps a nice one to have I've got a 3440 that needs some work but it's a balance between what you might need to spend and the achievable price in the end

Dave W
Old 1st Jul 2019, 8:34 am   #8
leorecording
Retired Dormant Member

As my machine doesn't seem to suffer from the "usual" faults, I guess it would be fine as a back-up for spares, or being refurbished with spares from another machine. I just want to avoid chucking it in the skip - it served me well many years ago.
Old 1st Jul 2019, 2:44 pm   #9
TIMTAPE
Octode

Archivists are finding it increasingly difficult to source even second hand parts for vintage tape machines, but not all parts are of equal value of course. The 4 channel/4 track heads in these machines should be sought after if they still have some life left in them.

Advertise wide enough and at the right price and I suspect you will find interest.
Closed Thread