UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Jan 2019, 4:12 pm   #1
wimmer333
Retired Dormant Member

Default Philips N2229AV cassette player

Hi I have a loose red wire on the transformer on my Philips N2229AV cassette player. It comes from the voltage selector switch, but I can't tell which pin it has broken off from on the back of the transformer. There are 3 pins, on the back of the transformer, 1 with a white wire, 1 with a red wire and 1 with a brown wire.
Thanks anyone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	176474   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	176475  

Last edited by AC/HL; 15th Jan 2019 at 4:19 pm. Reason: Images uploaded
Old 15th Jan 2019, 4:24 pm   #2
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips N2229AV cassette player

I'd suggest that it comes from where it's laying naturally. It's solid wire, and may have been scored when stripped. Vibration has taken it's course, unless it has been disturbed?
Old 18th Jan 2019, 3:41 pm   #3
wimmer333
Retired Dormant Member

Hi, the transformer fell out when I tipped it up the get the spring out, that was when the wire came off.
Old 19th Jan 2019, 4:07 am   #4
camtechman
Nonode

Quote:
when I tipped it up the get the spring out

What spring ?
Old 19th Jan 2019, 4:10 pm   #5
AC/HL
Dekatron

Well, I'd think that falling out qualifies as being disturbed, presumably the chassis not the transformer itself! From those photos it still looks the same to me though.
Old 20th Jan 2019, 8:45 am   #6
wimmer333
Retired Dormant Member

There was spring loose inside, when I tipped it over to get it out, the transformer came out and the wire came off. There are 2 places it could have come from, the post with the Red cable joining it or the Brown. Should I guess?
Old 20th Jan 2019, 3:26 pm   #7
AC/HL
Dekatron

Ah. Not the red in photo 1, in that case it may be a tag out of view of either photo. It's unlikely that two wires go to the same tag, and as it's the mains wiring don't just guess!
Ease the transformer out and look for a tag with solder, but no wire attached. If you're not sure take more photos. The transformer wouldn't just fall out however, there looks to be some damage around the mains socket?
Old 23rd Jan 2019, 5:15 pm   #8
wimmer333
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Bill, following on from your advice to look elsewhere, there is a blob of solder with no wire attached, on the battery compartment terminal. I can't tell if the wire would have come from there, however there is only 1 black wire coming from the batteries, this wire then would complete the circuit, would it go to the voltage selector switch?
Old 24th Jan 2019, 6:37 pm   #9
AC/HL
Dekatron

That sounds reasonable, there should of course be two. Photo 2 now appears to be a switch to disconnect the batteries when a mains lead is plugged in, rather than anything to do with the mains. If so, reconnect the wire, but don't plug a mains lead in until you've confirmed that it works on batteries. A bit awkward working without a circuit diagram, and only two photos for evidence!
Closed Thread