UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Mar 2016, 1:30 pm   #1
Analogue Alan
Retired Dormant Member

Default Fostex B16 not recording

Hi

My Fostex B16 registers the audio going when setting levels. Upon activation of record/play the led's still register the audio but upon play back it hasn't recorded anything?

Any ideas anyone please?

Many thanks
Old 3rd Mar 2016, 2:27 pm   #2
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: Fostex B16 not recording

Has it ever worked properly?

When you say "it hasn't recorded anything", has any previous programme been erased?
Old 3rd Mar 2016, 7:16 pm   #3
Analogue Alan
Retired Dormant Member

Hello Julie, thanks for replying.

It has been in storage for about 4 years. Yes, it has worked previously. However I am using an old tape with it, a Quantegy 456. There is a little oxide shedding but not a lot. it still plays back the previous recorded material. I'm wondering if the tape is the issue.

Kind Regards
Alan.
Old 4th Mar 2016, 4:01 pm   #4
julie_m
Dekatron

If it's not erasing the old material, chances are it's not even entering record mode properly. (You would be able to tell for sure by using an oscilloscope to look for erase voltage on the appropriate windings of the erase head, and bias voltage on the appropriate windings of the record / play head.)

Are all tracks affected, or only some? If only some, suspect the record safety switches; if all tracks, suspect a missing PSU voltage rail.
Old 4th Mar 2016, 8:09 pm   #5
TIMTAPE
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogue Alan View Post
I am using an old tape with it, a Quantegy 456. There is a little oxide shedding but not a lot. it still plays back the previous recorded material. I'm wondering if the tape is the issue.
Look carefully at the record head. It may have sticky shed tape gunk on it. If so, clean the head - and the entire tape path - thoroughly. Then use a tape not prone to sticking and shedding. The machine may still have a record problem but at least you can eliminate the tape.
Old 7th Mar 2016, 7:49 am   #6
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

I've had similar problems with gear that's not been used for a while including a Tascam 38 with motor logic issues and two mixing desks with dead channels etc.

Let's hope its your tape, Andy.
Old 7th Mar 2016, 7:59 am   #7
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

I've had similar issues with stored vintage recording gear; a Tascam 38 I had which worked ok previously developed problems with the logic controlling the motors and not switching relays for PB and record. Also had problems with mixing desks with dead channels etc.

Properly speaking your deck should be set up before every session including cleaning the heads and setting the bias levels. The heads and any iron work should be de magnetised every so often too.

Hope its just the tape, not simple things to work on these beasties. Good luck, Andy.