UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Feb 2016, 7:02 pm   #1
akaigxfan
Retired Dormant Member

Default Philips N4418

My philips n 4418 when switching on both reels star turning really fast I press stop and the left hand reel stops but the ff button is permanently on and ff is running constantly rather annoying as it was fine when put away, any help please? Thanks.
Old 21st Feb 2016, 9:56 pm   #2
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re: philips n 4418

Easiest thing to try first is to clean the edge connectors of the little plug-in panels on the logic board. There are two 'flip-flop' panels plugged in to the main logic board, try these first. Also a possibility of 'tin whisker' problems in the AC126 transistors fitted to these so you may need to change them. You should be able to find AC126's quite easily.
Old 21st Feb 2016, 10:27 pm   #3
akaigxfan
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: philips n 4418

Hi, yes i'll do that and report back, thanks.
Old 22nd Feb 2016, 6:45 pm   #4
akaigxfan
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Philips N4418

hello . wiped the flip flop boards also the speed control board, now theres a new problem it now will only pay 33/4 ips wth the speed control in 7/12 position! if i put the switch into 3/34 or 1/78 the capstan speed races up almost to fast forward speed, well at least itll work in that speed for now untill i have time to look some more, thing is all my tapes area at 7/12 speed. grr. thanks for youre help.
Closed Thread