UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 1st May 2015, 10:51 am   #1
nigelr2000
Heptode

Default 722 Trimphone ringer diagram

Hi all got another trimphone to play with so I wired it as my other full working one using the info from the net and have no ring, at first I realised the line cable was 2 wire so added the link between T6 & T7 (not shown in the picture), I now read about 14 volts on the ringer wires (DMM) but still nothing on the ringer. Its the 2 transistor type 8A but I can only find a diagram for a 5A. Is there a way to wire it off the phone just to test the ringer ?

I am using my telephone test rig (ex TV magazine designed one) and it has up to now worked perfectly testing phones but just in case I plugged into the main line and I was able to dial BT line test but nothing was heard on ringback bar my cordless ringing so I think I am looking at a ringer fault.

Pictures enclosed in case I have wired something wrong.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 001.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	186.1 KB
ID:	107697   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 003.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	107698  
Old 1st May 2015, 12:33 pm   #2
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

Default Re: 722 Trimphone ringer diagram

I don't have a circuit, but:

The tone caller, No 8A, was a novel feature of the trimphone. It consisted of an oscillator of about 2 kHz driven from rectified ringing current which gave it a vibrato effect.

The oscillator uses a tuned winding on a transformer (top left) and two transistors, which are BC108.

Earlier versions prior to the Telephone 2/722 were fitted with a slightly simpler design, tone caller No 5A, with only one transistor and which used a thermistor to provide the crescendo feature. The 8A uses a transistor fed by a capacitor with a bleed resistor. On each burst of ringing the capacitor charges up more than it discharges in the quiet period, until it is fully charged turning the transistor fully on to give maximum volume from the sounder.

http://www.samhallas.co.uk/collectio..._trimphone.htm

Ignoring the thermistor the ringing board just connects to the telephone line through a capacitor in the same was as a bell motor.

You can probably substitute a Receiver for the ringer sounder temporarily. That should localise the fault to the main tele. PCB, the ringer PCB, or the ringer sounder.
Closed Thread