UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Feb 2016, 5:04 am   #1
Mitch-W
Tetrode

Default Akai GXC-730D

Hi!
I got this nice tape deck from my uncle. He played it last time in the mid 90s.
I plugged it in, and it worked, but the Pause swtich was on. I lubed the mechanism for the switch, and then it worked.
Works a treat, the controls are very good, also the sound is very good.

But, I have a problem. The left channel VU meter is dead. The meter itself is good and will move if I test it using ohm meter. However, I don't get anything on the output lead for the meter.

I looked at the schematic (link) and found most probable culprit TR6 transistor. I measured it and it looked leaky, also the E-C and B-C junctions both read 0.7V in diode check. I swapped with the TR5 and the left channel went silent. I changed it then for BC337, but it didn't work. Capacitors look fine, when I tested some with an ESR meter.

Should I first get the proper 2SC945 transistor, or do I perhaps have a problem somewhere else?
Old 28th Feb 2016, 2:55 pm   #2
Restoration73
Nonode

Default Re: Akai gxc-730d

Note the BC337 uses a different pinout (EBC) the 945 is BCE. If you replace the
transistor and get a signal both channels using the headphone jack, then it might
be the diode. Nearest euro device with same pinout is BC182L (or BC184L).
Old 28th Feb 2016, 5:19 pm   #3
Mitch-W
Tetrode

Default Re: Akai GXC-730D

Thanks for the reply.
I get both the left and right channels, so I believe that the only thing I am missing is a VU meter drive.

Of course I noticed that the pinouts are different, so I swapped the pins of the BC337. But perhaps the specs are also too much different from the 2SC945...
Old 28th Feb 2016, 5:55 pm   #4
paulsherwin

The 2SC945 is just a Japanese jellybean transistor like a BC548 or 2N3904. Your BC337 should have worked if you wired it correctly. If you're certain you did, then the fault is elsewhere.

There's no point in trying to source an actual 2SC945.
Old 2nd Mar 2016, 11:32 pm   #5
Mitch-W
Tetrode

I put in the 2SC1815 and now the both VU meters rock
Any suggestions of calibrating the VU meters? What is the proper method?
I used the android mobile phone with an Audio Generator app and connected it to inputs. Selected the 333 Hz frequency sine wave. I put both recording levels to the max and lowered the volume on the phone so the needles were somewhere in the middle.
Then I adjusted the pot for the left channel (the one I replaced the transistor), so it matched the right channel.

The only problem is if I put that much signal that the needles would go almost all the way in the red, then the left channel is a bit lower than the right at the same input.
Closed Thread