UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Feb 2016, 5:50 pm   #1
Acalder1
Retired Dormant Member

Default Unidentified cassette player

Hello my name is Andrew, I am new to this group and hope someone out there can help me. I am trying to identify the cassette player in the photos. I know these are not the best pictures. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pirana Interior_1.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	120308   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pirana_Cassette.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	120309  
Old 19th Feb 2016, 6:51 pm   #2
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Unidentified cassette player

Hi,
There's a thread here just a few down from yours featuring a Philips in-car cassette player. It looks very much like the one in your attached photos.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=123908

Hope this helps.
Cheers, Pete.
Old 19th Feb 2016, 8:02 pm   #3
Acalder1
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Unidentified cassette player

Hello Pete thanks for your reply. The cassette player in the photos I posted was in a 1967 prototype car and was apparently one of the first such applications, the Philips N2607 car stereo cassette in the posting you suggested was some five years later.

Regards, Andrew.
Old 19th Feb 2016, 11:54 pm   #4
chriswood1900
Octode

This, may help track it down. Smiths industries owned the car radio brand Radiomobile there was a short fad of adding recording to car cassette players such as the Philips set up for the Lotus Elite from 1975. The radio in the 1st picture has a Radiomobile look to it.
Chris
Old 22nd Feb 2016, 12:09 pm   #5
brenellic2000
Octode

When I researched and wrote my history of Smiths ('The Golden Years') 3 or 4 years ago I knew of this Bertone-Jaguar concept car and I knew I had an original copy of the 'Telegraph Magazine' (Weekend Telegraph) in which it featured ... somewhere. Smiths was very heavily involved in its advanced technology. Could I find it? Nope!

But I have now found the cuttings!... alas they tell us little other than that this was a portable car cassette unit connected to the 'Radiomobile' radio to allow recording of programmes on the move... and to allow dictation; also at home. Smiths' Radiomobile Division designed and build their own radios but cassettes were essentially sourced.

This car was designed with the Daily Telegraph for exhibit at the 1967 Earls Court Motor Show so the timing suggests it was more than likely an Italian 'Voxson' unit (Smiths later used Lenco and Belgian designed but built-by-Garrard in Scotland cassette radio-cassette units).

This cassette unit features pull-out/push-in drawer loading system. Alas the colour photos (used above) from the magazine are far too low-resolution to make out any useful information about the cassette or radio and none of the people whom I talked to could recall much. For Smiths however the Telegraph's Bertone Jaguar E-Type based car was truly exciting allowing their Research Unit to go mad; this was the first time a working tape-recorder (as opposed to player) was fitted.

Barry
Old 22nd Feb 2016, 8:08 pm   #6
Acalder1
Retired Dormant Member

Hello Barry thanks for your suggestions, We are in fact restoring the E Type based Pirana hence the reason for trying to identify the cassette recorder/player as the original one from the car is missing. Yours and everyone elses help is invaluable
Thank You
Old 23rd Feb 2016, 11:54 am   #7
brenellic2000
Octode

Thanks Acalder1 - an interesting project you have your hands. Just as some of Smiths' products were 'working prototypes', it is possible that this cassette unit may have a been pre-production rather than a production model.

Just before this time, Smiths had a relationship with Motorola through a take-over of a car-radio maker who held a Motorola license, but Motorola suddenly ended the association and established their own UK base offering a wide range of car cassette and 8-track (plus radios) so there may be a very slight chance it was a Motorola... my money however is on Voxson.

Good luck!
Closed Thread