UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Feb 2016, 3:59 pm   #1
mikeamsterdam
Retired Dormant Member

Default Philips N2501 acting weird/broken

Hi there,

My Philips N2501 cassette recorder suddenly stopped working.
It now messes up my tapes.

The little spinning pin at the bottom right, keeps spinning. When my tape is finished it keeps spinning and destroys the tape.
Also playing stops after 2-3 seconds. Recording the same.

It already had some problems regarding the speed decreasing during fast forwards or backwards.

What could this be?
Old 14th Feb 2016, 5:39 pm   #2
radiotechnician
Pentode

Default Re: Philips N2501 acting weird/broken

If the take up spindle does not turn, the tape can bunch up around the capstan.

Download the service manual and look for a belt that turns it.

http://freeservicemanuals.info/en/se...SETTERECORDER/
Old 15th Feb 2016, 9:55 am   #3
ben
Dekatron

On mine, the take up torque was excessive. I've found this several times over the years with machines of this vintage (1978 ish) that use that mech.

In the absence of spares, last one I did I think I ended up unwinding and cutting off some of the spring (part of the clutch) that is on the take up spool to reduce the torque, and it seemed fine. Some trial and error was needed. Not very scientific but did the job!

You will know the take up torque is too high when you get tape wrinkling usually with thinner tape liek c90 and during the first third of a side or so.

If the clutch is totally failed you may get no take up or stalling.
Let us know exactly what problem you have as it wasn't too clear.

You will also need to check condition of the pinch roller (goes gooey/sticky) and erase head (falls apart).
Old 15th Feb 2016, 8:05 pm   #4
mikeamsterdam
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
On mine, the take up torque was excessive. I've found this several times over the years with machines of this vintage (1978 ish) that use that mech.
You will also need to check condition of the pinch roller (goes gooey/sticky) and erase head (falls apart).
Thanks Ben. Im completely new with Cassette, only used to vinyl.

I'll give it a go. Unfortunately I'm in a hurry to get it on tape

What I also notice is that when I want to record, only one second both wheel are spinning but then on wheel stops and again, my tape is messed up.
Old 17th Feb 2016, 1:23 am   #5
ben
Dekatron

Firstly, just to avoid possible confusion, take a look at the little diagram I have attached, labelling the parts.

Check the take up spindle. When play is pressed, it must turn. Try this with no cassete inserted. Obviously the auto stop will operate after a few seconds, but you should be able to test it. Try holding it. You should feel some resistance if you try to stop it.

If it does not turn in play, then tape will get tangled around the capstan and pinch roller (se picture) - Is this what is happening?

Also, does the machine fast forward and rewind?

More useful basic information here
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tape3.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	120199  
Old 21st Feb 2016, 12:40 am   #6
Maarten
Dekatron

The belts probably turned to goo and dropped off.
Old 21st Feb 2016, 1:15 am   #7
mike3300
Retired Dormant Member

The N 2501 has a completely plastic tape transport mechanism. The one I own is hungry - it eats tape. It is also equipped with plastic cogwheels from soft plastic - over the years it will become brittle and teeth will come off. So it is an terrible little deck. Better look for the N 2508 or N 2511 with decent metal tape transport. Look for the gears (cogwheels) especially the yellow ones if they are ok.

regards, Mike
Closed Thread