UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 11th Apr 2015, 12:17 pm   #1
Gi4CZW Cliff
Pentode

Default BT Relate SMS phone "no user" ?

I've had this phone for some time and used to be able to send texts but now when I press the SMS button instead of the sms menu coming up with "in-box" and "out-box" I get "no user". I thought it was connected with the caller-display-charge, now not being free, that had blocked my text option. BT help desk says no. Searching the internet and user guide do not give an answer. Perhaps some one here knows what's wrong. Cliff.
Old 11th Apr 2015, 10:36 pm   #2
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

Default Re: BT Relate SMS phone "no user" ?

BT Text Messaging is not available:

g) to customers with the Call Barring service who have selected barring of operator calls.
h) to customers who withhold their numbers on outgoing calls (unless they release their number prior to sending the SMS message).

http://www.bt.com/pricing/current/Ca...6_d0e22358.htm

Have you changed any BT Privacy / Caller Display / Call Barring settings recently?

Alternatively try re-registering it
http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/d..._id/9043/c/345
Old 13th Apr 2015, 5:36 pm   #3
Gi4CZW Cliff
Pentode

Many thanks for the reply.
Yes, I knew that I now need to pay for caller-ID to enable SMS and have that confirmed by the BT help desk. Unfortunately I'm not able to "register" by sending a text to 00000 as the outbox is not being presented when the SMS-button is pressed, I just get "no user".
I've been asking friends/family/neighbours if anyone has the same phone, in the hope of proving if my line or phone is faulty, no luck yet. Cliff.

Last edited by Gi4CZW Cliff; 13th Apr 2015 at 5:38 pm. Reason: spelling
Old 15th Apr 2015, 9:05 pm   #4
Sound Man
Tetrode

I've got this phone but I am unable to use the SMS facility as i'm now on TalkTalk.

Just a thought, have you checked that you've got the correct phone numbers for Send and Receive providers? To check, press the Menu button and then press the navigation buttons and select SMS Providers. In there you should be able to view and change the two phone numbers.
Old 17th Apr 2015, 9:14 am   #5
Gi4CZW Cliff
Pentode

Hello SoundMan, thank you for the info. and yes I've checked the send and receive numbers. I even get a modem type "chirp" when I ring the send number. I'm inclined to think the SMS-menue has become corrupted. It's the " no user " and no sign of a factory re-set that has me stuck. Thanks again. Cliff.
Closed Thread