UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Jul 2012, 5:06 pm   #1
Rick62008
Retired Dormant Member

Default Would you advise this method to restore old pinchrollers or rubber parts?

Hi again.

If i have old audio or video equipment, with old pinchrollers that aren't cracked or hardened that only look a bit glossy or dirty, would it be advisable to restore them by softly sanding them with a emery board or a fine sandpaper or something else that doesn't hurt much the rubber?

I would like to avoid replacing those parts if possible or even to resort to rubber rejuvenator.

More tips would also be very much welcome.

thank you in advance!
Old 16th Jul 2012, 5:13 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Would you advise this method to restore old pinchrollers or rubber parts?

This is a standard technique when restoring old pinch rollers or idler wheels. It doesn't always provide a complete fix but usually results in some improvement.
Old 16th Jul 2012, 6:28 pm   #3
Rick62008
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Would you advise this method to restore old pinchrollers or rubber parts?

Well i recall reading this method a while ago but i thought it would be safer to ask someone who already did it. I guess i need to be very smooth with it so that i don't introduce ruff edges to the rubber resulting in a damaged tape afterwards.
Old 17th Jul 2012, 5:52 pm   #4
camtechman
Nonode

I've resorted to that method on rim drive rubber clad reels, the one that suffer from a permanent indent from the small dc motor spindle (in the off position)
Old 22nd Jul 2012, 2:15 pm   #5
saxmaniac
Heptode

I did get away with putting a very bad turntable idler in a lathe and using a very sharp tool to turn off the aged layer. The surface was then soft and even and worked great. I dont know if I was just lucky that time. You also do need a lathe to do this!
Closed Thread