UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Aug 2019, 5:38 pm   #1
sabaman
Pentode

Default Phase Track Liniplex F2 receiver.

Hello,

I've recently dug out my Liniplex F2 from storage and wanted to try it out again. It's a crystal tuned LF/MF/HF receiver. It comes with the OSC-2 frequency synthesiser so one isn't limited to the crystal controlled channels, of which there are eight.
The problem is, I can't remember the power supply arrangements. It's got an odd 3 pin power socket on the back which I am pretty sure is NOT for mains operation. I think I powered it up a long time ago but can't remember how I did it. I imagine it's low dc voltage but what voltage and which pins? Would anyone have any information likely to help?
I don't think I ever tried it with the OSC-2 frequency synthesiser as it uses odd 'mini' BNC type interconnects and I couldn't find a suitable lead or connectors. I may change these to standard BNC if I am able to power it up again.

Thanks very much,

Sabaman
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Liniplex F2 front.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	188152   Click image for larger version

Name:	Liniplex F2 rear.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	188153  
Old 10th Aug 2019, 6:10 pm   #2
g8jzyian
Pentode

Default Re: Phase Track Liniplex F2 receiver.

The left connector looks like a bulgin mains connector type SA2404
Ian
Old 10th Aug 2019, 6:15 pm   #3
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

That 3-pin chassis-connector is a Bulgin type; looks like their "SA2404" - which was widely used for mains connections (mates with SA2403 line-socket).

Can't help you with whether it was intended for mains or some other externally-provided low voltage, why not pop the covers off and see if there is a mains transformer in there?
Old 10th Aug 2019, 7:28 pm   #4
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Are you sure that's a Bulgin connector? It looks more like the (discontinued?) Belling-Lee one which is not compatible.
Old 10th Aug 2019, 8:07 pm   #5
ms660
Dekatron

So far as I can make out the Bulgin SA2404 has a keyway, I can't see a keyway in the one in the photo as posted...?

Link to Liniplex F2 review, Shortwave mag...August 1989, starting mag page 20:

https://www.americanradiohistory.com...WM-1989-08.pdf

Looks like the batteries and ac adaptor were internal...?

Lawrence.

Last edited by ms660; 10th Aug 2019 at 8:18 pm. Reason: link added
Old 10th Aug 2019, 10:47 pm   #6
turretslug
Dekatron

The presence of a voltage selector at least implies an internal mains supply and putting it next to the connector under question suggests that they are associated. The connector type rings a faint bell, I may even have one somewhere (given time!), it's not one I would ever use myself. I wonder if it was one of those types that was intended to be "safe" as regards accidental contact whichever side was used as inlet or outlet, like the Cannon XLR-LNE type (a somewhat dodgy philosophy, IMHO! as inevitably some users used it the opposite way round to others...).

Yeah, whip the lid off and have a look!
Old 10th Aug 2019, 11:08 pm   #7
Alistair D
Nonode

Have a look at picture 17 in this link. http://www.plugsocketmuseum.nl/Bulgin1.html

Picture 2 in your original post is not quite clear enough to confirm if the Belling Lee is the correct plug but it does seem very similar.

Al
Old 10th Aug 2019, 11:50 pm   #8
Synchrodyne
Nonode

The outboard power supply unit for the Liniplex F2 is simply a transformer that provides a nominal 15-0-15 volts AC, although that will vary according to the supply source, and I’d guess was based upon a 230-volt input. The supply voltage switch is on the receiver itself, and appears to switch between half transformer output voltage for the 170 to 265-volt case, and full transformer output voltage for the 90 to 170-volt case. The rectifier and battery charging circuitry (for the internal nicad cells) is within the receiver. Alternatively, a set of regular cells may be used as long as the power adaptor is not connected.

I could retrieve my F2 from storage and measure the voltages on the power supply unit pins, if it is still working that is. But that might take a little while. I think that one could work out which power supply input pin is which by looking at the unit itself. One 15-volt pin goes to the fuse FS1. The other, and the 0-volt pin, go to the voltage selector switch.

Please let me know if you want a copy of the manual.

Cheers,
Old 11th Aug 2019, 7:16 pm   #9
sabaman
Pentode

Hi,

A very big thank you to all who responded to my request for help. I'm most grateful for all your thoughts and advice. Synchrodyne, thank you very much for the information provided. I now should be able to power it up. I've taken a look inside and can clearly see the charging circuitry and rechargeable cell holders. I think that's probably how I powered it last time, by fitting batteries.
I would be most interested in a copy of the manual and shall send a PM.

Thanks again everyone.
Closed Thread