UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Jul 2019, 12:06 pm   #1
MeanDumpsterCat
Pentode

Default Pioneer RT-1011L Solenoids

Hello everyone!

I've run into a small problem with my RT-1011L.
Whenever the fast forward button is pressed, the brakes don't seem to get released and it will fast forward but very slowly and I don't hear the usual clunk of the solenoid.
A few months ago when I pressed FF it would take a few seconds for the solenoid to click and release the brakes.

Sounds like the solenoid has just gone bad to me but I've never really dealt much with them before. Is there an easy way of fixing them or do they need to be replaced?

It's also worth mentioning that if I press play or rewind and then fast forward it works just fine as the brakes have already been released.

Cheers!

Last edited by MeanDumpsterCat; 9th Jul 2019 at 12:13 pm.
Old 9th Jul 2019, 12:13 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: Pioneer RT-1011L Solenoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanDumpsterCat View Post
Hello everyone!

Sounds like the solenoid has just gone bad to me but I've never really dealt much with them before. Is there an easy way of fixing them or do they need to be replaced?

Cheers!
Never mind what it sounds like. Use you meter on a resistance range to check the continuity of the solenoid's winding/s.

I've yet to come across a solenoid which can't be rewound. Check that it's actually faulty first though.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 9th Jul 2019, 12:20 pm   #3
MeanDumpsterCat
Pentode

Yeah I will do. Looking around online it seems lots of people have this same problem too so it would not surprise me if a dead solenoid is the case.
Old 9th Jul 2019, 12:20 pm   #4
vidjoman
Dekatron

Quote:
H

It's also worth mentioning that if I press play or rewind and then fast forward it works just fine as the brakes have already been released.
So it's unlikely to be a faulty solenoid. Probably a sticking mechanical part - sticky grease etc. Or maybe a dirty switch.
Old 9th Jul 2019, 12:27 pm   #5
Station X

Quote:
H

That information was added just before I posted.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 9th Jul 2019, 4:29 pm   #6
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

The solenoids in this deck are controlled by a transistorised voltage regulator that allows a burst of full current to pull them in, then a reduced current to hold them with less heat dissipation. If the solenoids are reluctant to pull in there is most likely something wrong with that circuit, or with the mode switches and relays that trigger it and select which solenoids are to operate, or as mentioned sticky grease which is quite a common cause of sluggish operation of solenoid-controlled tape transports.
Closed Thread