UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Jan 2018, 5:47 pm   #1
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Philips N4418 erase head query.

Hi,
I whipped the cover off this stereo deck today to change the belts, and I noticed that the two channels of the erase head are wired in anti-phase. Is there any particular reason for this? The record/play heads are, of course, wired in phase as per usual.
Cheers, Pete.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Philips heads 2..jpg
Views:	120
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	156133  
Old 25th Jan 2018, 6:05 pm   #2
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips N4418 erase head query.

The connections are shown like that on the wiring diagram page in the service manual, so your machine has not been 'got at'. The circuit diagram just labels the pins (a..d) and makes no indication as to the phase of the windings.

Actually, you don't _know_ that the 2 windings are wound the same way, so you can't be sure they are in antiphase (although I suspect you are right and they are). The erase heads on the (bidirectional) N4450 are wired the same way, so I guess there is reason for it.

It shouldn't matter as regards erasing the track the head is on, but I wonder if the idea was to reduce the stray field between the 2 heads and thus prevent erasure of the track between them (remember that the heads follow tracks 1, 3).
Old 25th Jan 2018, 10:14 pm   #3
julie_m
Dekatron

Hmmmm ..... Interesting hypothesis. If they were fed in inverse phase, then the stray flux would tend to flow from one pole piece to the other one the same side of the gap, as opposed to shooting out if they were in equal phase .....
Old 26th Jan 2018, 9:36 am   #4
ricard
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDuell View Post
It shouldn't matter as regards erasing the track the head is on, but I wonder if the idea was to reduce the stray field between the 2 heads and thus prevent erasure of the track between them (remember that the heads follow tracks 1, 3).
Yes, I think that is exactly the reason, I remember reading that somewhere, can't remember where though.
Old 29th Jan 2018, 3:25 pm   #5
hsbhachu3d
Pentode

The winding in the head is done the other way round for the other channel. I ripped up a worn head and found it out the hard way lol
Closed Thread