UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Jan 2018, 1:52 pm   #1
padster
Retired Dormant Member

Default Unidentified reel to reel recorder

Hi all.

We have recently acquired an old reel to reel recorder which doesn't work correctly. Unfortunately there are no identifying marks, no name plates or model numbers. I think it's a Grundig model but I'm only saying that because of the valve light thing. could anyone shed any light please?

Barry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180119_123325[1].jpg
Views:	329
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	155727   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180119_123335[1].jpg
Views:	288
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	155728   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180119_123400[1].jpg
Views:	269
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	155729  
Old 19th Jan 2018, 2:25 pm   #2
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Default Re: Unidentified reel to reel recorder

It’s not a Grundig, but a UK designed and made Ferguson tape recorder, fitted with a tape deck of their own design. These also appeared in slightly different cabinet designs as Ultra, HMV, Marconiphone branded machines (all brands owned by Thorn Electrical Industries, as was Ferguson).

I can’t see any brand names or badge on your machine. Is there a model number or name plate in the rear compartment - usually on the bottom?
Old 19th Jan 2018, 2:28 pm   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Prsumably the badge has fallen off - or could it have been a model made for a catalogue company?

P.S. The "valve light thingy" is called a magic eye.
Old 19th Jan 2018, 3:21 pm   #4
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

As a schoolboy, the first non-trivial repair I undertook with my new soldering iron was swapping out the track selector switch in a Marconiphone badged version of that machine.
Mine had some value added features though, a trick recording button on the LHS allowed you to superimpose, and a B9A socket on the rear allowed you to monitor one track while recording on the other, as well as some other features. I imagine in 90% of cases that socket was never used, but I certainly did.
Old 20th Jan 2018, 10:41 pm   #5
AndiiT
Octode

Hi, the machine is almost definitely from the Thorn/Ferguson stable so could have been branded Ultra, Ferguson, Marconi or HMV. My (un)educated guess would be that your machine is the Ultra variant.

It appears that yours is a four - track model and an unusual "feature" of these models is that you can record on both tracks simultaneously if both track buttons are depressed.

What are the fault conditions that you are experiencing with your machine?

Regards

Andrew
Old 22nd Jan 2018, 1:06 pm   #6
Steve_P
Dekatron

It is the Thorn Deck and I bet it does not wind. This is due to hardened grease.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 22nd Jan 2018, 1:41 pm   #7
alvin365
Diode

Yes, I have just sold 14 similar to this. Quite correct; the wind/ rewind ''moves'' the spool tables, and the bearing on which the 'arm' connects to is always seizing != inside underneath. Unplug from mains first of course, and beware high voltage capacitors! The stored voltage can KILL!!!!. To get wind / rewind working you need WD40, VERY SPARINGLY with a tube on the nozzle and move the arm carrying the spool platters back and forth, almost endlessly, add more WD40 and eventually it will free! If after about 30 minutes it has not freed then dismantling and reaming the bearing is the ONLY solution.
The other thing is the 100killohm 1/4 watt resistor goes on the magic eye, this causes fuzziness or no illumination at all. Check it does measure 100 kill-ohms.
They are wonderful machines and very good value. the last one I have, which I am keeping, is twin speed 1 7/8ths and 3 3/4 ips 1/4 track mono, it cost me 50p

Yes it is slightly different to your model, but as above member mentions Ultra / Ferguson / HMV etc. all used virtually identical designs, some had a valve rectifier for example EZ81 or similar, and others used a solid state device for example a selenium rectifier. Others used a more modern bridge rectifier and all of these except the last can fail. If the volume is low or it hums then check the high tension voltage across that big metal capacitor! it should be around 275 to 350 volts. Better still use an oscilloscope with high voltage probe, as often the voltage is correct but it is all 50 cycle hum!

This above fault ''had me going'' for ages until i realised. The only other last thing, there is something like a 100 microfarad capacitor = electrolytic, connected to near the loudspeaker, electrically, not physically. I have known this to go, either short or open circuit.
THAT'S ALL! have fun.

All I do these days, apart from ham radio and electronics / astronomy, is repair tape recorders ... as a hobby. I rarely make any profit! but I find it fun and it keeps me out of the pub! By the way I have 63 tape recorders, including 9 Nagras, arguably the ''best in the world?''
Old 22nd Jan 2018, 2:21 pm   #8
AC/HL
Dekatron

The use of WD40 raises strong passions on here. The key words are "very sparingly". Spray into a container and use something to drip onto the bearing surface, and wipe off afterwards, ensuring that absolutely none gets anywhere else. Other solvents can be used of course.
Old 29th Jan 2018, 1:07 am   #9
hsbhachu3d
Pentode

Oh damn I owned one of these exact Ferguson decks 6 years ago and destroyed of for jokes. It was in like new condition, bought it for 2 quid in the car boot, sold the Mullard valves for about £60 on eBay. There was nothing on it to say that it's a Ferguson apart from a label on the wooden cover and on the microphone that came with it. Probably still have it somewhere lying in the garage.
Closed Thread