UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Apr 2018, 10:03 pm   #1
Lansonvinyl
Retired Dormant Member

Smile Ferrograph series 4

Hi Everyone

I am a newbie to reel to reel tape recorders although remember them well from my school days in the late 60's & early 70's. I have just recently been toying with the idea of transferring my Vinyl collection to Tape so I do not have to get up every 15 mins to flip the Vinyl. I have been given a series 4a Ferrograph that has been in an attic for 20 Years. So, not only am I a newbie to tape I am a newbie to electronics, so please bear with me. I understand that this mono player is not suitable for recording my early stereo vinyl so this project is more of a learning curve and some curve it is turning out to be.
I have changed all the Capacitors & Resistors that did not come up to standard.
The issue I have at the moment is that there is no volume or gain control, I can just about hear what is being played, though I cannot turn the volume up or down.
Am I stark raving bonkers starting this crazy hobby approaching my 60's or does it get less under your skin with time & experience.
Any advice will be gratefully received.
Old 5th Apr 2018, 10:46 pm   #2
BillDWVA
Pentode

Default Re: Ferrograph series 4

First thing to check is whether there is a build-up of dirt or oxide on the face of the record/play head? Also check that the pressure pad for the head is making proper contact with the back of the tape and that the felt has not gone hard.
Have you a tape recorded on another machine to test the playback function first?

Bill
Old 7th Apr 2018, 6:33 pm   #3
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Default Re: Ferrograph series 4

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

As a novice to electronics, you have chosen to tackle a fairly complex machine for your first project! You'll probably agree that it is possible you've introduced a wiring error at some point whilst replacing all those components. How did you prove they were faulty? One golden rule that we 'old hands' adhere to is only to replace one component at a time, then check the effects before progressing to the next one.

When I restored my own Ferrograph mono Series 6, I only needed to replace one capacitor to get the machine basically working. The bulk of the subsequent work was mechanical, it needed new idler wheels and I also had to replace and realign the record/replay head due to excessive wear. If you could post a close-up photo of the head faces, someone here will advise further.

As you already realise, your mono machine will not provide any of the stereo experience that your vinyl contains. As much as I loved my Ferrographs - I owned two at one stage - they were both mono and of limited usefulness, so I no longer have them.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Closed Thread