UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Apr 2018, 8:06 pm   #1
keelystill
Retired Dormant Member

Default Stereo Cartridge for Dansette Conquest

Hi all

I have bought a Dansette Conquest that has what I believe is a UA8 deck with a TC8R cartridge (pic attached) I want to be able to play stereo LPs (not modern ones) on it. What cartridge would allow this?

There is an STC8 I found here https://www.dansette.com/product-pag...tte-cartridges

Would this be a decent option?

Thanks for your help guys

Keely
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180323_171021.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	160395  
Old 2nd Apr 2018, 8:59 pm   #2
Audio1950
Dekatron

Default Re: Stereo Cartridge for Dansette Conquest

That would be the perfect cartridge to replace your existing one. It is the one that would have been used originally to replace the TC8. However, a word of warning... I see these are "new old stock", which means that they are now over 50 years old. As these, and all crystal cartridges absorb moisture over time, which destroys the crystal element, be sure the vendor offers a guarantee that it is working, with good output.
Old 2nd Apr 2018, 9:34 pm   #3
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

The cartridge you have fitted is actually a BSR TC8M. You can fit a stereo stylus to this, but it will still have a poor vertical compliance. The ideal cartridge will a BSR X5M stereo-compatible mono (not the full stereo BSR TC8S as per your link). You will need to lighten the tracking weight to 4 grams. Don't delay, there are very few BSR X5Ms available now. Cost will be c. £37.00.
Old 3rd Apr 2018, 12:16 pm   #4
DonaldStott
Octode

I've just replaced a BSR TC8M on a Dansette "Monarch" UA15 record changer with a BSR X5M Stereo-Compatible cartridge with LP/78 Stylus.

https://www.gettheneedle.co.uk/bsr-s...206-p6807.html

Quick and easy to fit - managed to reduce the tracking weight down to 3.8 grams with no skipping which is a big difference from the previous 8 grams.

Last edited by DonaldStott; 3rd Apr 2018 at 12:17 pm. Reason: Typo
Old 3rd Apr 2018, 1:17 pm   #5
John10b
Nonode

Just a small observation, from the picture the Cartridge is marked, TC8R, yet one post says “ TC8M”.
Have I misunderstood?
Cheers
John
Old 3rd Apr 2018, 1:31 pm   #6
Audio1950
Dekatron

TC8R (red) refers to the LP stylus, There will be another number, TC8G (green) for the 78 stylus.
The recommendation that you use the X5M is a valid one, but being a "flip-under" type, it means there is no turnover knob on the front, which makes the arm look somehow "stunted". Just a matter of personal choice, really.

Barry
Old 3rd Apr 2018, 1:40 pm   #7
John10b
Nonode

Thank you Barry, so I presume you identify the Cartridge by its colour, I do remember a red one with fulfi written on its side.
Cheers
John
Old 3rd Apr 2018, 3:44 pm   #8
Audio1950
Dekatron

You do identify the cartridge by its colour, (brown for medium output, red for high output), but there are no numbers on the cartridge to indicate which is which. All TC8 cartridges have both TC8G and TC8R stamped on the side. If you look carefully, you will see tiny arrows pointing from those numbers to the appropriate stylus.
Old 3rd Apr 2018, 7:10 pm   #9
John10b
Nonode

Thank you.
Cheers
John
Old 13th Apr 2018, 9:25 pm   #10
keelystill
Retired Dormant Member

Hi

Guys thanks so much for all the advice. I'll go for the X5M. I'm not bothered if it looks a bit odd.

Would I be able to fit it my self? I have stylus scales for the tracking weight. Does it need soldering etc?

Thanks again

Keely
Old 14th Apr 2018, 10:10 am   #11
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

It does not need any soldering. You just push on the 2 existing connectors (usually red and black wires) with tweezers. Make sure your X5M comes complete with its mounting clip. Your photo shows a BSR UA8 deck's tone arm (you must have an early version of the "Conquest") and you just use the same 2 screws that hold the existing BSR TC8M mounting bracket in. Using the spring on the inside of the tone arm, reduce the tracking weight to 4 to 5 grams, but I do not recommend any lighter.
Old 14th Apr 2018, 10:16 am   #12
Audio1950
Dekatron

You should be able to fit this yourself with no trouble. No soldering involved, just be careful when you remove the tags from the back of the old cartridge that you don't pull the wires off. You may have to close the existing tags a little to get them to fit tightly on the pins of the X5M.
Old 14th Apr 2018, 11:21 pm   #13
keelystill
Retired Dormant Member

Brilliant!! Thanks so much!
Closed Thread