UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Sep 2010, 11:01 pm   #1
colvin 1947
Retired Dormant Member

Thumbs up Oscilloscope Schlumberger Solartron CD1740

Hello all,

I just bought one of these scopes (taking me back to the army days!. Can anyone tell me where I may obtain a manual and what probes I need?

Kind regards,

Colin.
Old 17th Sep 2010, 6:56 pm   #2
WME_bill
Octode

Default Re: Oscilloscope Schlumberger Solartron CD1740

CD1740. Almost any modern probes will do. Ideally 50Mhz or greater, as the Scope itself is a 50MHz model. Try Maplin, RadioSpares, ebay.
Manual. Solartron manuals just don't exist on the web. I have a number, but not scanned. The CD1740 manual is a brute, as it uses a lot of blue shading which does not copy or scan well. I have done you the circuit diagrams (only for the usual plug-ins), and also a specification from a 1972 catalogue. Even that is over 7Mb, so send me your email by PM. If I have time, I will also do the PCboard layouts, and key setup instructions. The power supply is unreliable, as the board seems to be low quality. The tunnel diode in both parts of the Time Base is AEY25 = 1N3716 5ma. Unless you are very lucky, or can persuade me to sell from my small stock, you will have to buy another scap scope from that era to get a spare, eg many Tek, HP, some Solartron or Cossor. Semiconductors: a few Solartron own numbers: diode SD3 = Si type as 1N914. Transistor SM6526 appears similar to BCY70, A1778 similar to 2S745, so you can select from what you can find with those sorts of characteristics.
Sometime, I will get all my Solartron manuals scanned. The scopes I have are CD1014, CT436/CD1017, CD1212/CT484, CD1400 series, CD1183, CD513, CD523 of valve era, and later CD1642, A100, CD1740, complete, and key extracts for CD568,CD711, CD814.
It really depends if anyone wants this info. Otherwise, I'll pass them to Mauritron, if he is still in business by then. Bill
Old 21st Sep 2010, 6:54 pm   #3
WME_bill
Octode

It is very curious. I have a message from the Forum saying there is a Private Message for me from you, and it quotes an email address. But my inbox on the forum does not show your message. So I will wait to see is there is a system delay. Otherwise, could you send me a PM with your email again please, as I am bit suspicious of the address quoted. It seems odd, though certainly not Nigerian. Bill m0wpn
Old 3rd Sep 2014, 12:57 pm   #4
unclegrumpy
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Bill.

I desperately need a manual for a Solartron 1014 v2. I have circuit diagram (a poor copy) but I can't repair it without a layout. Did you manage to copy your 1014 manual? If so can I "beg" for a copy?

Regards, John.

Last edited by Station X; 3rd Sep 2014 at 1:59 pm. Reason: Email address removed.
Old 3rd Sep 2014, 2:36 pm   #5
ronbryan
Octode

There is a good quality 33 page Solartron manual for the CD1014.2 on Duke Nukem's web site.

http://www.thevalvepage.com/servdata...q/solartrn.htm

No diagrams showing the physical position of the valves and components, though.

Ron
Old 3rd Sep 2014, 10:25 pm   #6
MotorBikeLes
Nonode

Bill, a couple of weeks ago, I had a pm message from somebody (can't remember who), but there was nothing in my messages box. Maybe a phantom scammer at large?
Les.
Old 4th Sep 2014, 10:33 pm   #7
WME_bill
Octode

Solartron CD1014.2 or CD1740. You say both.
I have original printed manuals for both these models. The CD1014.2 does not have any component layout or printed circuit board diagrams.
Oddly enough, with the CT436 (CD1017) which is very similar in performance, and produced for the MoD, the printed manual does include layouts, but it is all so different, it will be no help at all.
When I was repairing the EHT regulator , V18 (EF86) on my CD1014, I did make a fairly detailed sketch of the component arrangements. You are welcome to a scan of that, but with my writing, you may well prefer to start afresh. It is fairly straightforward with valves to find your way about. Very much easier than struggling with double sided PCB and transistors, all packed into the size space of a postage stamp.
If you meant the CD1740, then the manual is excellent, with layout photographs and individual PCB components and wiring. Rather a lot printed in blue, which is difficult to scan or photocopy cleanly.
wme_Bill m0wpn
Closed Thread