UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Mar 2018, 12:42 pm   #1
MikeCross
Tetrode

Default Nagra 3 power supply

Hi,
I am looking for help to service my Nagra 3 power supply.
I used the recorder last summer to record some traction engines and on replaying the tape, parts had a buzzing/ clicking noise which went away after a number of minutes. I guess the unit contains the usual transformer/rectifiers and capacitors but before I do something wrong I would like to know the circuitry and any tricks that might need to be known before opening the metal case.

I have used this machine for man years and I think it is due some TLC.

Many Thanks
Mike
Old 31st Mar 2018, 6:49 pm   #2
jamesperrett
Octode

Default Re: Nagra 3 power supply

Have you eliminated other potential sources of interference like someone using a mobile phone nearby? Have you tried recording on it more recently and is the problem still there?
Old 31st Mar 2018, 8:50 pm   #3
barretter
Heptode

The Nagra 3 doesn't have an internal power supply. It runs off either 12 D cells or an external supply connected via a 6-pin Kuchel plug ( a higher class lockable DIN plug). Is that what you mean? If so you could check the recorder by installing 12 new D cells which would eliminate any effect of a malfunctioning external supply.
There is an internal voltage stabilizer circuit so that might be at fault, but I have yet to find a readable circuit diagram. You can find a maintenance manual on the internet by googling Nagra 3. There is a CD-ROM of Nagra documents currently on the well-known auction website for £5-6.
Old 31st Mar 2018, 10:00 pm   #4
barretter
Heptode

That should have been Tuchel plug. The internal voltage stabiliser (or "tension" stabiliser) is contained in a screened can inside the Nagra but there doesn't seem to be any easy way of removing it and, in any case, it probably contains germanium transistors which it would be difficult to find viable replacements for.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nagra3inside.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	160266  
Old 31st Mar 2018, 11:52 pm   #5
TowerRadio
Hexode

Might it be noise from a brushed motor (if the recorder has one)?
Old 1st Apr 2018, 10:38 am   #6
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

If it turns out to be the external PSU, aftermarket replacements are available at a reasonable price.
Old 1st Apr 2018, 11:08 am   #7
barretter
Heptode

The external power supply is just a simple combination of mains transformer, diode bridge and electrolytic smoothing capacitor with no regulation (which is done inside the machine) so it shouldn't be too hard to fix. Any DC voltage between 15V to 30V is acceptable.
Old 3rd Apr 2018, 4:41 pm   #8
MikeCross
Tetrode

Thank you all for your help.
External power supply rebuilt with new caps and all is fine.
Closed Thread