UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Jul 2016, 9:28 am   #21
Brisemont
Diode

Default Re: Smith Sectric Clocks

Thanks to both for the helpful replies.

The clock makes absolutely no noise at all and has run flawlessly keeping perfect time since I got it about a year ago. It came from a clocksmith, so I believe the internals had been checked out before selling it.

Looking at the markings and casing, the information I've found about these clocks suggests that it's from 1937.

I will check the cord with a multimeter as you've recommended and see what I find.

If the cord is indeed at fault, what kind of cord and plug should I replace it with and what should I use to connect the cord to the clock? The same standard connector a previous owner fitted, or something else?

Thanks again!
Old 13th Jul 2016, 11:08 am   #22
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Smith Sectric Clocks

I agree about the date. Mine's marked 1938 on its movement.

Check the cord and clock together, as problem is often not the cord or the clock per se, but rather, the sloppy way in which the contacts mate with one another.

Carefully opening up the split prongs on the clock with a penknife will help them to make a better connection, but be careful as they snap off easily.

Also, peek inside the connector attached to the cord and check that the knurled nuts are fully tightened so that the wires are firmly gripped.

N.
Closed Thread