UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Jul 2014, 5:33 pm   #61
keithinuk
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Built to Last, not Surpassed: Your old ELECTRICAL Appliances still on the go

I don't want to sound too old fashioned, but I use my Bejams microwave daily, two Kirby classic's, one up one down, it saves lugging them up and down stairs, a Dustette, pre-hoover one, for the little crannies.
Being that I'm the cook of the house, or should I say, the only one that can, I use vintage gadgets and kitchenware from Victorian to the modern day on a daily basis.
Old 3rd Aug 2014, 2:19 pm   #62
Stubble
Pentode

Default Re: Built to Last, not Surpassed: Your old ELECTRICAL Appliances still on the go

Here are some more photos of my Bendix Automatic Home Washer Model D

We certainly don’t make them like this any more.

I acquired her a few months back, she is now bolted to the garage floor and working well.
The only work it has required has been to change some rotted rubber hoses and rubber sump filter seal, top the transmission oil up in the gear box and fudge some new water valves.

The original valves won’t work anymore and I can’t repair them, the pistons don’t seal on the seats or function properly due to excessive wear from very hard water, so I have made some remote valves, these are modern valves mounted in side a plastic box mounted on the wall, connected to the machine with the original Bendix hoses, the water flowing though the original valves and air break. The new wiring connected to the original machine wiring, it works a treat and the machine looks like nothing is out of place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2873.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	95784   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3180.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	95785   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2908.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	95786   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3076.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	95787   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3105.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	95788  

Old 4th Aug 2014, 5:46 pm   #63

I love the water level sensor.

Old 4th Aug 2014, 6:11 pm   #64
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Yes! I'd missed that.

And I love Stubble's very sensible and neatly-executed water valve workaround.

N.
Old 4th Aug 2014, 7:48 pm   #65
Stubble
Pentode

Hi

The water level float switch was some thing I hadn’t seen before, it works very well and the mechanical user adjustment is fantastic, the rod attached to the control knob lifts the switch up or down to adjust the travel of the float before it actuates the switch. Part of the water flow swills out the float tube keeping the suds down which helps keep it as accurate as possible.. She a beautiful piece of British engineering.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN2915.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	95810   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2916.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	95811   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2996.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	95812   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3083.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	95813  
Old 4th Aug 2014, 7:54 pm   #66
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Is that a mercury-switch on the water level sensor (and the whole switch assembly tilts) or a microswitch?
Old 4th Aug 2014, 7:59 pm   #67
matthewhouse
Octode

Superb repair and a very nice design.
Where the water level sensor pipe is (I've seen the same method of level sensing used on enormous industrial washers) there is 2 little pipes above. Is this something to do with the water valves operation or is it simply 2 little drip trays under the water pipe connectors?!

Also I see there is little room for movement between the tub and the casing I take it the tub is fixed rigidly rather than suspended like a modern machine? If so does this machine have a spin cycle? Sorry for all the questions, this machine is way before my time!

Edit: I see you have answered the first question, that's such a clever design!
Old 4th Aug 2014, 8:04 pm   #68
Stubble
Pentode

It’s a micro switch, the float pushes it up till it reaches the stop end and then actuates shutting off the water and it also stops the gear shift solenoid from activating if water is still in the tub preventing a spin, which would push water out of the soap port on the top of the machine, very clever but simple.
Old 4th Aug 2014, 8:10 pm   #69
Stubble
Pentode

She has a ridged tub and chasses and bolted to the floor, very rock steady too the bearings must take a battering with a heavy load spinning at 400rpm.

I have up-loaded some videos if any one is interested in seeing the wash action.

http://www.youtube.com/user/hotpoint95622
Old 4th Aug 2014, 8:43 pm   #70
Herald1360
Dekatron

What makes most of the racket? Noisy gears?
.........O..Chris....O
Old 4th Aug 2014, 9:03 pm   #71
Stubble
Pentode

The gears are a little noisy with a heavy load in but the camera seems to make it sound much loader than it actually is, the unit is a set of friction clutch plates made of copper I think, the belt also needs changing which I will get round to some time. I think at 50 + years you can forgive a little noise.
Old 5th Aug 2014, 8:22 am   #72
peter_scott
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubble View Post
I acquired her a few months back, she is now bolted to the garage floor and working well.
That brings back memories. My mother had a slightly earlier model although with very similar internals and like yours it was bolted to a concrete floor by a couple of substantial studs embedded in the concrete. There was no interlock on the door and as an inquisitive toddler I once flooded the kitchen by opening the door whilst the machine was in operation.

Peter
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bendix.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	95824  
Old 11th Aug 2014, 1:10 pm   #73
Peter.N.
Dekatron

I am just about to replace my failed 70w sodium yard light that I fitted about 40 years ago, it has been used practically every night for that time. The original one cost me about 70 pounds the replacement will be 30 pounds but I bet it wont last as long. I would have replaced the tube but the plastic cover has become almost opaque - and I don't of course know if I can actually get it apart.

Peter
Closed Thread