UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Aug 2018, 6:31 pm   #1
john.north
Pentode

Default Eddystone EB35

Hello all,
I got this from a mate to repair, it has been used at sea on a trawler so is badly corroded. I have managed to get it working by replacing TR1/2/3 OC171s which had tin whiskers with AF178s. FM worked perfectly but none of the AM bands did. I checked the new transistors before replacement but when I rechecked TR1 it was short from screen to collector. I remember a thread a while back which stated that AF178s didn't suffer from tin whiskers.
Anyway FM SW1 SW2 and MW work perfectly. SW3 and LW are dead.
All suggestions welcome.
John.
Old 16th Aug 2018, 6:48 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Eddystone EB35

Check for dry-joints in the SW3/LW oscillator circuitry: if the LO isn't running you'll not hear anything.

Another receiver, tuned to the expected LO frequency and with a few feet of wire as an antenna, is a great tool to confirm that your problem-radio's LO is actually oscillating]

Eddystone quality-control was often rather less-than-perfect: I've got an 870A here which on acquisition was totally dead on its highest-frequency range. Investigation revealed a soldered-joint on the LO coil which had clearly _never_possibly_have_been_ conductive !
Closed Thread