UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Aug 2018, 11:48 am   #1
Beardyman
Hexode

Default Adding BT/MP3/FM capability

Just a general question to perhaps gauge the consensus regarding adding BT/MP3/FM/AUX capabilities to our radios. Furthermore, let me limit this to radios with a GRAM input.
The modules mentioned above are easily available from eBay for around the £3-£5 region, I've used them before in other projects and I have to say they work very well.

My question is this:

Should the module be fitted permanently to the radio or should it be a separate entity with trailing cables etc.?

If it were fitted permanently then it would make the radio more "usable" in the everyday sense, especially in areas where AM transmissions are virtually non-existent or RF hash floods the ether. The other side of me rails against the thought of wantonly making a large enough hole in a wooden cabinet to accommodate it!

Many thanks.
Old 14th Aug 2018, 1:04 pm   #2
music-centre
Heptode

Default Re: Adding BT/MP3/FM capability

Hi.
I think you may get a lot of different opinions on this one, personally I would never alter the case or do anything that couldn't be reversed easily - fine if its just a separate item that can be plugged in though.
Steve.
Old 14th Aug 2018, 1:32 pm   #3
ionburn
Heptode

I prefer the external module approach, but I think anything internal should be easily removeable, and well documented.
Old 14th Aug 2018, 1:47 pm   #4
paulsherwin

The Bluetooth / FM modules normally come with a remote control, so there's no need to modify the cabinet. The module just needs to see the remote signal, either through the tuning scale glass or through a hole in the back. You can mount it inside stealing power from somewhere and connected to the gram sockets. You could even rewire the gram sockets to connect them to the aux input of the module. This is all easily reversible.
Old 14th Aug 2018, 2:13 pm   #5

If it keeps an old radio usable it is OK in my opinion. External or internal.

Old 14th Aug 2018, 2:21 pm   #6
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Be careful with sets without an isolating mains transformer, live chassis and all that.
Old 14th Aug 2018, 2:28 pm   #7
paulsherwin

Another reason to mount the module inside.
Old 14th Aug 2018, 3:23 pm   #8
Beardyman
Hexode

Some interesting responses, thank you gentlemen.
Let us suppose that one would only install a module with an earth-able chassis, the particular module has an AUX input (from an Ipod for example), a USB port for memory sticks & a TF slot (microSD) which would all need ready access, not to mention the FM tuner frequency LED display.
It's an interesting conundrum & all technicalities aside it would at least allow the radio to be used once again rather than sitting on a shelf looking good.

Picture of said module attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mp3.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	167543  
Old 14th Aug 2018, 3:42 pm   #9
paulsherwin

You only need access to the SD card slot and USB socket if you're going to use them. The Bluetooth and FM functionality doesn't need any external physical access at all. You could fit an SD card semi-permanently with some suitable stuff on it.

If you want to fully use the MP3 player functions you are better off mounting it externally in a small box. You just need a 12V supply from a spare wall wart. Actually these modules have a regulator to drop the 12V down to 5V, so any supply in the 9V-24V range should be OK.

Charity shops and flea markets often have suitable small wooden boxes.
Old 14th Aug 2018, 4:42 pm   #10
CrocodileClip
Retired Dormant Member

Are gram inputs normally equalised for a magnetic cartridge? What provisions have folks been making for the response?
Old 14th Aug 2018, 5:14 pm   #11
julie_m
Dekatron

No, gram inputs on radios are normally flat for a crystal cartridge. This probably was what ended up defining "line level" on consumer equipment.
Old 14th Aug 2018, 5:17 pm   #12
paulsherwin

Magnetic cartridges are extremely rare in 1950s and 60s domestic gear. The gram inputs are unequalised, and expect a signal of about 500mV from a crystal or ceramic cartridge. They work well with standard line level sources like CD players, but won't work at all with a magnetic cartridge. You would need an external preamp which would handle the equalisation.
Old 14th Aug 2018, 6:52 pm   #13
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Mine's housed in a box (recycled, but the profile of the front panel fits the module perfectly), together with a tiny Class D amplifier, so it can be used 'stand-alone' with speakers, or as a source for other equipment.
Old 15th Aug 2018, 12:36 am   #14
Refugee
Dekatron

I use a CD stereo to feed my vintage amplifiers through the head phone output.
They have a bit more gain than domestic radios and having the same connector as many phones and MP3 players when a visitor started playing music on a phone through the internal speaker it was plugged over to the existing lead in short order.
It sounded so tinny that I had to do something about it.
Old 15th Aug 2018, 7:49 am   #15
Beardyman
Hexode

Having read through everyone's various posts on this subject and a good night's sleep (that always helps!) I have decided (in this particular case) to make it external with its own PSU, it will connect to an Etronic RA640. Having looked around the arts & crafts boxes available there is a very reasonable one that looks like a stack of old books, at least it will be in keeping. Many thanks one and all, always good to get other people's opinions on these things as they help to cover subjects that may have been overlooked. Have a good day.
Old 15th Aug 2018, 10:05 am   #16
Brigham
Octode

My view is, ANY form of recording can be played into the Gram sockets, not just mechanical disc types; BUT radio reception MUST go through the RF section.
Otherwise, you might as well just connect directly to the loudspeaker, and put a battery on the dial lamp.
Old 15th Aug 2018, 11:49 am   #17
Beardyman
Hexode

Whilst I agree with the sentiment of your post Brigham, there are some areas (mine included) in the UK where MW/LW/SW reception is flooded with EMI/RFI (both mains borne & transmitted) it is all but impossible to receive anything of any worth except on the FM band. What are we to do in that case? I'd rather my radios were in a state where at least part of it is being used, as intended, rather than gathering dust or mouldering away in the loft/garage etc. Yes, I have tried a pantry transmitter but as the house is a Victorian build with rather solid walls I would need one on nearly every room or boost the power output to an illegal level.
It was not my intention to cause any form of upset to anyone here as you are all very helpful & knowledgeable, my intention was merely to gauge opinion. I think it certainly did that.

Admins, please feel free to close this thread as & when you see fit, many thanks.
Old 15th Aug 2018, 11:56 am   #18
paulsherwin

There will inevitably be a range of views on this subject, but it's your radio to use in whatever way you want to.

I will close the thread as you suggest.
Closed Thread