UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Aug 2018, 3:50 pm   #1
Jolly 7
Octode

Default Tiger Electronics ET toy repair question

This may be a bit unusual but I recently bought an ET toy that needs repairing. I thought it said hello to me once after I put the batteries in but has not said anything further. It opens and closes its eyes constantly and the whirring sounds inside do not stop till the batteries are removed. Neither will it extend its neck, the finger and heart lights do not come on either.
If anyone has experience repairing one of these please advise. There are YouTube videos on how it normally should work, but none that I could find on repairing it.
Old 1st Aug 2018, 8:00 pm   #2
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re: Tiger Electronics ET toy repair question

I've not had much luck with these sort of things. Not seen this particular toy but it is probably based on countless other animated novelties (like the singing/dancing Father Christmas I was asked to look at last year....).

The heart of it is probably an unknown chip which is just covered in a round blob of black silicon or clay etched directly on a small PCB so not replaceable even if it did have a type number. This feeds a few transistors that control the motors and LED's. Check the few transistors and peripheral components...you may be lucky but it's probably the control chip. It may not even come apart easily. Probably an ornament only.
Old 1st Aug 2018, 9:24 pm   #3
Biggles
Rest in Peace

No experience of toys other than the odd radio control model but if it has function buttons these may be stuck or leaky. Try decoupling the supply with a large capacitor, just in case spikes from motors etc are upsetting the chip. Something like 1000 microfarad should do it. Make sure the batteries are good fresh alkaline types and the contacts are clean. Guesswork really.
Alan.
Old 2nd Aug 2018, 6:47 am   #4
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Not had much luck fixing toys, they are usually very cheaply made as described above and the devil to take apart and impossible to put back together. Can you not return it from where you bought it?

Andy.
Old 2nd Aug 2018, 7:14 am   #5
Kentode
Octode

More likely to be a mechanical problem. I repaired a Darth Vader that made noises but didn't move.

The fault was a plastic gear which had slipped under its mating part, caused by a loose screw.

There are probably screws in the battery compartment holding the two halfs of the base together.

Posting a few photos may help.

BVWS member
Old 2nd Aug 2018, 9:18 am   #6
Ambientnoise
Heptode

Repaired an interactive cat with moving eyes, ears, mouth etc recently. The worst bit was skinning it to get at the works ! The mechanism was essentially all in the head cavity and the problems were corrosion on the solder connections of very small wires. These toys can get drinks etc spilled on them or even dropped in the bath. Sewing the fur back on was another game ! The things we do for grand children.

Ken
Old 2nd Aug 2018, 10:18 pm   #7
Jolly 7
Octode

I completed the first part of ET's autopsy this evening. I had to remove six external screws and ten internal ones to get to this stage plus snipping off a lot of hot glue in hidden corners. I think there are three motors running the mechanical side of things and there is a chip covered in black goop. Tomorrow I will attempt to open up its neck and see if there is anything loose or stuck inside that might be causing a gear malfunction. Photos attached. There are three LEDs and one LDR in the chest. One of the LEDs is red and the others might be infrared to allow communication with other ETs and members of the Furby family !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180802_212925.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	166962   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180802_220734.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	166963  
Old 2nd Aug 2018, 10:46 pm   #8
Sideband
Dekatron

Hmmm...you may be lucky but I think ET will not go home this time......
Old 2nd Aug 2018, 10:50 pm   #9
Jolly 7
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabolical Artificer View Post
Not had much luck fixing toys, they are usually very cheaply made as described above and the devil to take apart and impossible to put back together. Can you not return it from where you bought it?

Andy.
Hi Andy, it was only two quid so if nothing else it can go inside my display cabinet. It looks great with its red jacket on😃
Old 3rd Aug 2018, 8:08 am   #10
Cobaltblue

Well I am watching this thread with some enthusiasm.

At some point I have to attempt a repair on my Kids Teddy Ruxpin.

I brought it home from HK in 1988 and it was in fine fettle untll it was brought out of retiremnt in 2003 to amuse a young nephew who promptly pushed in one of his eyes

There is at least several Youtube how to's on Teddy but its the Skinning bit I don't like the sound of

As he otherwise still works fine maybe I should just give him an eye patch and have done with it

Cheers Mike T
Old 3rd Aug 2018, 4:02 pm   #11
electronicskip
Nonode

I did repair a Tiger electronics Furby I bought my wife at the height of the craze so don't give up .
Damm things wont stop chatting ot each other ,she has 8 or 9 now including two original ones and a giant furby .
Drives me nuts!
Closed Thread