UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Feb 2018, 6:05 pm   #1
Geoff 555
Heptode

Default Smiths CA clock repair question.

Hello, E bay has struck again, bored early hours of the morning!! Took a chance and bought the clock, spares or repair. Inside it is both filthy (the case) and clean (the movement.) ,Took a chance and plugged it in and it started and ran.
The question is there is a red hand which I am guessing is a second hand, it does not move, it looks as if 'someone' has been at the clock as the dial face has a couple of dents in it and the minute hand does not line up with the 12 when the hour hand is on the hour.
Could someone kindly tell me the best plan of action please?
The alarm setting knobs - I have no idea how to use them. I am not fussy about it working to be honest.
As you can tell 'I know nothing' about clocks!.
Thanks chaps.
Cheers.
Geoff.
Old 15th Feb 2018, 9:30 am   #2
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Default Re: Smiths CA clock repair question.

Geoff,
I think the red hand is for the alarm. It should turn when you turn the alarm setting knob - it willl only turn one way.
If the hands don't line up someone has been 'at it' and the hands have been off.

Have you a picture?

Might be best if you just leave it if it runs OK. Whatever you do, no WD40 or oil please!
Old 15th Feb 2018, 2:10 pm   #3
Geoff 555
Heptode

Hello Mike thank you for the reply, being a devout coward I cleaned all the dust out with a blast of air and gave it a very light touch of Plusgas to clean up the parts I could not get to.
Plugged it in and stood clear, no flash or bangs ( bit of an anti climax really!) It has been running for 6 hours now and is cool, quiet the red hand is now working and is a second hand, I am hoping the stink of the plusgas will go in time.
I will let it bide and keep an eye on it and see what happens.
Thank you again Mike.
All the best.
Geoff.
This is a WD40 free zone.
Oh blimey the alarm has just gone off nearly heart attack time.
Old 15th Feb 2018, 3:41 pm   #4
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Great stuff, Geoff. It's probably fine now,but not too sure Plusgas was a good idea.
However it should be OK until such time as you might want to overhaul it properly.
Old 15th Feb 2018, 8:48 pm   #5
terrybull
Octode

The hands will most likely be a push 'friction' fit on the respective shafts. I would try GENTLY to line the hour hand to an appropriate hour and then try to push the minute hand to 12. The hands will bend if too much force is used.
Old 16th Feb 2018, 12:04 am   #6
Geoff 555
Heptode

Hello well the plusgas was the only thing I had to hand, I will order some proper clock oil, It has proved at least it works. The hands are very fragile and looking at the minute hand with a glass it looks as if it is held on with a dome shaped nut, there is no slot or anything so I will have to be careful trying to move it. The minute hand is held on very very tightly.
Thank you for your help, I will strip and clean it etc.properly.
One last question if I may please, What oil would you recommend please.
Thank you.
Cheers.
Geoff.
Old 16th Feb 2018, 9:29 am   #7
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrybull View Post
The hands will most likely be a push 'friction' fit on the respective shafts. I would try GENTLY to line the hour hand to an appropriate hour and then try to push the minute hand to 12. The hands will bend if too much force is used.
... after setting the alarm knob to sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff 555 View Post
Hello well the plusgas was the only thing I had to hand, I will order some proper clock oil, It has proved at least it works. The hands are very fragile and looking at the minute hand with a glass it looks as if it is held on with a dome shaped nut, there is no slot or anything so I will have to be careful trying to move it. The minute hand is held on very very tightly.
The minute hand is held on as a very tight push fit. It might be better to set it to 12 and see if the hour hand will lift enough to turn it. If not then two pieces of brass or ally strip between the hands twisted in opposite directions might do it.
Quote:
Thank you for your help, I will strip and clean it etc.properly.
One last question if I may please, What oil would you recommend please.
Thank you.
Cheers.
Geoff.
Unless you intend to repair a few clocks it's probably not worth buying oil as a bottle will last you a decade or two! My last lot came from Meadows and Passmore (qv). PM me and I'll send you enough for this job.