UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Apr 2018, 3:25 am   #1
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default Quick-and-Dirty VFO 1kHz-33MHz

Following in the new "Quick-and-Dirty" series, the LTC1799 chip looks interesting. It is described as a "Resistor-Set SOT-23 Oscillator" and can generate 1 kHz to 33 MHz square waves just by changing one external resistor. No coil, just one resistor and one cap.

B
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1799 oscillator data sheet.pdf (196.8 KB, 214 views)
Old 26th Apr 2018, 3:55 am   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Quick-and-Dirty VFO 1kHz-33MHz

Take note of the word 'dirty'. The phase noise sideband level of an oscillator is related to the Q of the oscillator's resonator. Super-duper quality coils can give a Q of a few hundred, and the better varactor diodes will be a further limitation, typically halving that figure depending on the fixed/variable capacitive proportions. Mechanical tuning capacitors have much higher Q. At the other end of the Q range, some larger SMT parts can reach 100. small cheap SMT parts can be around 20.

Having set the scene, now for the punch line: R-C oscillators have effective resonator Q's below unity!

Add in a fair amount of drift with temperature.

These sorts of parts have uses in general electronics, but prove to be seriously limited in radio work.

They can be phase locked, and the loop used to rein-in the noise over the loop bandwidth, but they are always worse than L-C based designs.

Sorry for the cold water, but I thought I'd better point out the limitations as they particularly affect radio applications.

One really wild thing in the oscillator world are integrated MEMS oscillators with MHz range mechanical resonators. More like a crystal substitute than a VCO.

David
Old 26th Apr 2018, 5:42 am   #3
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
These sorts of parts have uses in general electronics, but prove to be seriously limited in radio work.
Well yes, but just as Tanuki wasn't claiming that his 1MHz chip was anything more than something you could literally throw in your boot...this too? Alternatively, if you really are just getting started in the hobby, and on a really tight budget, then your 'cheap as chips' signal generator to fix your Bush/Echo/Hacker might be really quite handy.

All that said, I'm sure I bought some IC's way back in ~1990 (SN74LS629 ?) that were R-C VCO's running to ~30MHz?
B
Old 15th May 2018, 9:12 am   #4
vosperd
Hexode

One of these has just dropped through the letterbox. Whether it sees any practical service remains to be seen.
Don m5aky
Old 15th May 2018, 10:06 am   #5
MrBungle
Dekatron

I can't think of a use case I wouldn't use something else other than this IC for. The BOM cost is really high as well.

A Si5351 (£1), crystal (£0.40) and microcontroller (£0.50) to drive it are cheaper and more flexible. 0-200MHz, three independent outputs, rock solid frequency stability.

For everything inbetween a couple of CMOS gates are probably good enough with an RC circuit.
Old 15th May 2018, 10:34 am   #6
vosperd
Hexode

This one came from China on a board with two preset pots etc for £8.00. Won't break the bank.
Don
Old 16th May 2018, 2:23 am   #7
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Please let us know what you think of it.
B
Old 16th May 2018, 12:17 pm   #8
vosperd
Hexode

I haven't done much yet but so far it does not appear to be very stable on frequency counter at HF. Not easy to set to precise frequency with the preset pots. Square wave looks fine on scope.
Might be improved in an enclosure.
Don
Old 18th May 2018, 9:00 am   #9
dalekmoore2007
Pentode

This is what i used mine for http://www.taswegian.com/NBTV/forum/...=2436&start=45
Old 5th Nov 2018, 10:01 pm   #10
M3VUV51
Banned

just think build a transmitter with that wow you could cover all the bands dc to light all at the same time !! m3vuv.
Closed Thread