UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Member Introductions and News

Notices

Member Introductions and News A place where members can introduce themselves and post occasional news about themselves.

Old 9th May 2018, 8:22 am   #1
davidw
Heptode

Default RIP Chris Lorek

Just popped up from the RSGB that Chris Lorek G4HCL has passed away whilst visiting Goa.
Chris wrote, amongst lots of other things, the definitive books on converting exPMR stuff for amateur use....RIP
Old 9th May 2018, 12:53 pm   #2
Andrew2
Octode

Default Re: RIP Chris Lorek

Oh my goodness. I'm sure many of us are familiar with that photo of him in his shades, looking fit and well. What a shock. RIP Chris.
Old 9th May 2018, 1:02 pm   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

https://twitter.com/theRSGB/status/993797014361198593
Nickthedentist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2018, 3:24 pm   #4
SiriusHardware
Octode

I gained my Amateur ticket when Ham Radio Today, then very much Chris's vehicle, was at its zenith and and I bought it every month without fail primarily for the always interesting PMR conversion articles by him.

The first radios I used on any of the major amateur bands above 30Mhz were always ex-PMR sets, because in those days a commercially made amateur band radio, even a handheld, would easily have set you back 400-600. Not only that, but there was the pleasure of re-purposing something which had been discarded, unwanted, by its original owner. And they were usually built like tanks.

It led me into spending some time working on modifications to certain control PCBs associated with ex-PMR radios, an activity which I very much enjoyed at the time. I still have copies of Chris's two books about ex-PMR conversions as well.

I met him briefly once: He didn't strike me as being particularly old - not much older than me, anyway, so his passing seems sadly premature.
SiriusHardware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2018, 7:38 pm   #5
dodgy-dxer
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusHardware View Post
I met him briefly once: He didn't strike me as being particularly old - not much older than me, anyway, so his passing seems sadly premature.
61 according to the RSGB announcement - no age at all
dodgy-dxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2018, 7:05 pm   #6
hannahs radios
Hexode

God bless Chris. Thank you for your inspiration.
hannahs radios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2018, 5:59 pm   #7
deliverance
Hexode

Such a knowledgeable man RIP Chris .
deliverance is offline   Reply With Quote