UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Nov 2011, 2:15 pm   #1
kestrelmusic
Hexode

Default Robuk RK3 decision

I have my Dad's old Robuk RK3 and don't know what to do with it. Mechanically it seems sound, the motors, capstan and flywheel all spin freely. It won't play back, but I think this is probably just a single R or C failure, the PCB doesn't look "cooked" anywhere and the resistance of the head is about right.

Four choices:
1. Give it away on here;
2. Try to flog it on Ebay;
3. Strip it for parts and dump the rest;
4. Restore it, then try to flog it on Ebay.

My immediate inclination is to remove the valves, transformers and other useful electronics, then bin the rest, but I am reluctant to dump anything with mechanical parts that might be useful to someone else. What would you do in my position?
Old 25th Nov 2011, 2:22 pm   #2
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: Robuk RK3 decision

1 : If you give it away on here, or sell it on here, then it will go to somebody who will value it and fix it.
2: If you put it on Ebay, then you might get money for it, but how much is anybody's guess.
3: Strip for parts, well we don't know what's wrong with it do we, Most are easily fixable.
4: Restore it and sell it on Ebay. Well, all the work on restoring it and then you don't know how much it will fetch.

You could restore it and use it of course, We're here to help!

If you want to get rid, then the Sets and Parts Wanted section is below.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 25th Nov 2011, 2:34 pm   #3
brenellic2000
Octode

Default Re: Robuk RK3 decision

I agree with Steve. They are good honest deck, nothing special, but you will never get your money back if you restore it and resell. Someone will appreciate it.

Barry
Closed Thread