UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Aug 2011, 8:48 pm   #1
ricard
Octode

Default Tandberg TCD300 cassette well pilot lamp replacement

Picked up a Tandberg TCD300 at a radio fair the other day. Wasn't really looking for anything in particular, but the Tandberg caught my eye, and at a price of (the equivalent of) £7 it seemed like a bargain in any shape - I've got a TCD310 in unknown condition lying in storage which I want to work with I want to get to work on some day, so a spare machine seemed prudent. I've always liked the look of these machines ever since I first saw them in school so I figured if I was going to have a good cassette machine, it would have to be one of these.

I'm not particularly fond of the cassette format, but I do have a collection of odd recordings on cassette which are nice to be able to listen to. Also, I need to to do the occasional recording on cassette now and again.

But back to the 300. Expecting a bit of work to have to be put into it, it turns out it works fine. Loose and missing screws indicate the previous owner has had his hands in it but it seems like he knew what he was doing. Have listened to a few tapes and even the Dolby tracking seems to be working fairly well, something which has never happened to me on any recorder. It took me a while to find out that that the pause button is an interlock for the record button, I first thought a linkage from the record tab sensor was binding or something like that.

I've replaced the self adhesive foam rubber behind the row of push buttons, which makes the button handling smoother (the buttons don't slam against the top cover as they spring up) and also places the eject button in line with the others. I used a narrow strip of self adhesive felt which I would think would be a more long term solution than the foam rubber.

Only thing that doesn't work is the pilot lamp in the cassette well. It's fairly deep, and doesn't seem to be reachable from the back of the machine. There's no mention of it in the service docs I've managed to find either for the 300 or the later 310, so no help there. Has anyone here replaced one of these lamps and knows how to go about it? My initial attempt would be to try and grip it with something (I know there are tools to grip small lamps like this, not sure if I have one lying about) and pull it out of the rubber grommet it is mounted in, but not sure if that's a good idea, lest the lamp shatters.

Incidentally, this really seems to be an oddball design. It's appearent that they haven't looked at any other machine when designing this, it looks different from anything I've seen before. It almost doesn't even look Tandberg (said after diving about in Tandberg reel-to-reels for years). I suppose the design team designed it from the ground up.
Old 2nd Aug 2011, 1:14 pm   #2
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Tandberg TCD300 cassette well pilot lamp replacement

Hi Ricard,
If you remove the base plate from the machine you will find the mother board , on the bottom right two connections(may be marked lamp as per the 310) 116/117

Fiddly job to replace but thread the wires through the cassette well, push fit for the lamp & connect. If you break the dud lamp removing it, no matter it is US anyway.

Colin.
Old 6th Aug 2011, 11:08 pm   #3
ricard
Octode

Thanks Colin. I did remove the base plate to take a look, but couldn't see anything at first glance. I'll try again as this seems to be the way to go.
Old 30th Nov 2011, 5:03 pm   #4
Robertos
Retired Dormant Member

which is the correct replacement for that bulb? grain of wheat, voltage, amp, size?
Thanks
Closed Thread