UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Sep 2010, 8:30 am   #1
Roger13
Retired Dormant Member

Default Can anyone identify this?

Hi.

Among a pile of old photos I found this picture of a reel to reel recorder I owned briefly. The photo would have been taken around 1965 and the recorder was already getting a little long in the tooth. The one above it was a little Ultra 4 track. My pride and joy!

I know I owned it, and I should remember what it was, but ..........

Cheers,
Roger.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Old Recorder.jpg
Views:	761
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	40155  
Old 5th Sep 2010, 9:30 am   #2
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Default Re: Can anyone identify this?

This is either a Verdik S1 or an HMV DSR1 - same meat, different gravy. Quite a decent machine, actually - two speeds, three heads, three motors - but probably fell between the twin stools of BSR/Collaro based "cooking" machines and Ferrograph/Brenell.
Old 5th Sep 2010, 9:42 am   #3
brenellic2000
Octode

I agree with Ted - the four very blurred knobs either side of the blurred head covers with its blurred curved tape path is the give away.

Barry
Old 5th Sep 2010, 2:18 pm   #4
Roger13
Retired Dormant Member

Hi.

Thanks for that. Verdik rings no bells at all but HMV does.

Barry, - if you think the recorder is vintage you should have seen the camera!!

Cheers,
Roger.
Old 5th Sep 2010, 2:56 pm   #5
reelguy
Heptode

My money is on the HMV DSR1. I had one in the 60s. It was a good m/c if I recall. I remember the output socket doubled as an input depending on whether it was playing or recording.
Sounded good to me then... Great
Peter W............Reelguy
Old 5th Sep 2010, 5:03 pm   #6
brenellic2000
Octode

Hi Roger,

I'm into vintage cameras too so a blurred photo of that would be good too!

Verdik Sales' history is interesting; I had originally thought they were related to Dudley Steynor's Verdik Ltd but were in fact totally unrelated. The two brothers who ran Verdik Sales were related to George Lane of 'Lane' tape deck fame and at first Verdik distributed the 'Lane' decks; they offered a Lane based Verdik tape recorder.

What happened next I have yet to discover, but by 1958 they had moved to South London and began producing amplifiers and an entirely new tape deck, the S.1 in which Lane had no involvement; however engineers at Lorlin were involved.

HMV and Marconiphone were part of BRC, now part owned by Thorn and no longer directly under EMI; so new models were contract built. HMV chose the Verdik S1 deck (Veritone chose it for their Venus) while Marconiphone adopted a Collaro deck - their second tape recorder was almost identical to the Verdik S22, so whether Verdik contract built the HMV DSR1 and Marconiphone MTR2 I know not, but within a year BRC had become wholy owned by Thorn and these anomolous deck vanished. Verdik had closed by 1962 and was taken over, I understand, by Lorlin.

Can anyone tell me more about Verdik and Lorlin?

Ted - and others - speak highly of the Verdik S1/HMV DSR1, but Which? magazine were not impressed. But then the tape recorder industry were highly critical of the Which? tests!

Barry
Old 5th Sep 2010, 5:42 pm   #7
Roger13
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Barry,

The camera was a very old Kodak bellows item. Alas it is long gone. I have studiously avoided developing an interest in photography as I have enough expensive hobbies......... I am 99.9% certain the recorder in question was the HMV. I would have remembered a name like Verdik.

Cheers,
Roger. Thanks for solving that little mystery.
Old 5th Sep 2010, 5:59 pm   #8
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

More than likely the DSR 1, virually a clone of the Verdik S1 . There were slight differences including the cabinet finish but from the photo, difficult to discern, I still have many spares for this machine. For a 3 head, 3 motor, 2 spd. machine with seperate record/play amps. @ 45gns. in 1959 , this was good value in those days, one of my best sellers .

Colin.
Old 6th Sep 2010, 6:48 am   #9
brenellic2000
Octode

I'm getting old (no comment Colin!) - either that or swigging too much Iso! It was George Tack of Lane ('Lane' derived from Maurice Lane who financed George's ventures). The photo shows the HMV which had light coloured knobs, the Venus had dark coloured knobs - in theory!

Barry
Old 6th Sep 2010, 11:09 am   #10
Roger13
Retired Dormant Member

Hi.

At risk of deviating from the original question I would add the following:

The HMV was given to me by my brother's girlfriend in a vain attempt to get me to accept her (bossy girl, I seem to remember) . While I could not remember what make it was I do remember being a little unimpressed with it. At the time my pride and joy was a little Ultra 6202, which rather put the HMV in the shade when it came to clarity and overall sound quality. I guess there may have been a problem with it but I would have spent considerable time cleaning the heads and degaussing etc. At that time in my youth I was lusting after a nice Ferrograph and this beastie just didn't cut the mustard...

Cheers,
Roger.
Old 6th Sep 2010, 12:58 pm   #11
brenellic2000
Octode

The Thorn decks of the mid-late 60s (Ultra, HMV, Ferguson, Marconiphone) were well designed and very well made. Thorn intended these to be a global deck to take on Philips, Grundig and the Japanese - and to a certain extent they succeeded. I had the later DB43 3-speed 7" (right-hand piano keys) in the Marconiphone 4210 - a very reliable domestic model.

Granted, they were not in the Ferrograph league but that wasn't their intended market and I too hankered after a Ferograph Srs 7, but having later got one, I wasn't impressed!

Now to more serious issues - did your brother's girlfriend's advance succeed?

Barry
Old 6th Sep 2010, 1:48 pm   #12
Andrew2
Nonode

I had a Ferguson 3224 (single speed, central piano keys) in the late 60's and it was a little marvel. I was always impressed with the solid construction of the deck and took many liberties with it, such as adding an extra pb head, fitting a 'phasing' lever etc. It finally clapped-out in the late 70's, but my friend's identical machine is with me now, being given some TLC.
I agree about the Ferrograph series 7. This was THE machine to drool over back in the late 60's/early 70's and I finally aquired a well-used example from a local radio station about 15 years ago. It needed a set of idlers and a pinch roller and once these had been fitted it worked fine and the audio quality was excellent. But I was never impressed with it mechanically - it seemed old-fashioned and crude, almost as though Ferrograph had just put new 'interface' mechanicals over the top of the series 6. Ah well, we live and learn.
Old 6th Sep 2010, 3:00 pm   #13
brenellic2000
Octode

Agreed, but the Series 7 was a rushed job to 'modernise' the Series 6 and compete with the truly awesome Revox A77; the Series 7 cost Ferrograph dearly, especially the later probelms with synthetic rubber for idler wheels and those truly awful inaccessible tone and channel slide switch controls - yeuk! But, yes they are easy to operate and have superb performance. The Logic 7 was the one to really drool over!

Barry
Old 6th Sep 2010, 3:04 pm   #14
Roger13
Retired Dormant Member

Hi.

Yes, I couldn't agree more about the little Thorn decks. I have two here, one 2 track, and 1 four track. The electronics are starting to become a little 'tetchy' but the mechanics are as good as ever. Not much plastic in there!

Barry, it wasn't the Series Seven I was after. I wanted a proper Ferrograph - Series 5 or 6 ........ And I didn't care if it DID feel as though it was built from a Mechano set.

My brother's girlfriend? She wasn't making a play, it just seemed important to her that I liked her. Afraid she failed there!

Cheers,
Roger.
Old 6th Sep 2010, 3:19 pm   #15
Roger13
Retired Dormant Member

Hello again.

Just for the hell of it, I've had another go at scanning that photo. It's a bit of a lost cause but I think it may make things a little clearer.

Cheers,
Roger.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HMV Recorder.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	40189  
Old 6th Sep 2010, 3:40 pm   #16
Kat Manton
Retired Dormant Member

Hi,

The question is, has anyone got one and can photograph it, or maybe find and scan a period advertisement?

I'm intrigued, it's a new one on me. I'd like to... er... (sorry Roger) see a little more of it

Cheers, Kat
Old 6th Sep 2010, 5:41 pm   #17
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

Herewith
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Verdik S1.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	40191  
Old 6th Sep 2010, 6:05 pm   #18
brenellic2000
Octode

... and the HMV DSR1 and Veritone Venus adverts. The histories of these companies, and many others you may not have heard of, are in my "Guide to British tape recorders" - 3rd edition (hopefully the last fully revised and expanded edition!) out October.

Barry
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HMVDSR1.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	40192   Click image for larger version

Name:	VERIVEN.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	40193  
Old 7th Sep 2010, 10:30 am   #19
Roger13
Retired Dormant Member

Hi.
Thanks Colin and Barry. And the memories come flooding back........ Why don't we ever think to store our current purchases, for that day in the future when people will say "cor, have you really got one of those?".

Cheers,
Roger.
Old 7th Sep 2010, 3:09 pm   #20
brenellic2000
Octode

Hmmmm - lack of space!

The trouble with anything old - especially mechanical - is that it needs to be used to keep it in fine fettle... and then the cost of maintaining it far surpasses its true value particularly when tape (or film) becomes obsolete and we all end up with hundreds of obsolete, unusable items - which we then buy up as the price is dirt cheap and we always wanted one of those to rekindle our childhood fantasies.......

Gosh, we are sentimental old souls, aren't we?!

Barry
Closed Thread