UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Mar 2018, 10:29 pm   #1
DeLaGoal
Retired Dormant Member

Default Dynatron Cavalcade SRX 30B

Hello everyone. I'm new here and I'm looking for some advice.

18 months ago I bought a Dynatron Cavalcade SRX 30B from eBay. I was assured it had been fully serviced. At the time I had just moved house and was in the middle of decorating, so I carefully stored the unit until I had the time to set it up. I have now done so. Unfortunately it appears to have two faults. I feel very foolish for not taking the time to fully check it upon arrival and I am now well beyond the year's warranty the seller offered.

The tape cassette deck does not move. Play, rewind and fast forward are dead. The power button to the tape deck does work.

The lights which illuminate the radio display have an intermittent fault. Whist they work initially, after a few minutes they begin to flicker and then go out. A gentle tap on the top of the unit will bring one or sometimes both back on, but sometimes cause the other to go out. After a while, they will both go out again.

I would like to attempt to bring the unit back to full working order but I do not have much experience. If anyone could point me in right direction I'd be very grateful.
Old 22nd Mar 2018, 10:59 pm   #2
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default Re: Dynatron Cavalcade SRX 30B

If the bulbs are the screw in or bayonet type it may just be dirty connections on the bulb holders, if the are the soldered in type it is probably the bulbs are faulty and need replacing.

If the power switch on the cassette deck is not working, that requires investigation before looking at the play and rewind. It could be the switch but there are many other possible causes, some easier than others

Post some photos of the unit it may jog memories and get more informative information.
Old 22nd Mar 2018, 11:10 pm   #3
paulsherwin

The chances are the cassette deck just has a bad capstan belt which needs changing. It could have deteriorated while it's been in storage.
Old 22nd Mar 2018, 11:48 pm   #4
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

This is one of the better Dynatron music centres and you are very fortunate in that both channels of the amplifier are still working!
The cassette deck is a fairly basic 1975 Philips unit and belts can still be sourced.
I'll search through my Library (I'm ex Philips) and try to locate the model number.
Old 23rd Mar 2018, 10:31 am   #5
ben
Dekatron

It's a Philips N2506. Probably as basic as it gets. Belts will have gone to goo if they haven't been replaced in the recent past.
Old 23rd Mar 2018, 12:15 pm   #6
DeLaGoal
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you for your replies everyone.

Nuvistor, thank you for your advice regarding the bulbs. Here is a photo of the unit taken by the seller.

Paul, Edward, Ben, thank you for your advice regarding the cassette deck.
Old 24th Mar 2018, 1:07 am   #7
dalgwcobl
Pentode

The Goldring G101 record deck can have speed problems caused by hardened grease in the turntable bearing. If it's playing OK, leave well alone as it can be difficult to get the turntable trim off without damaging it. Note the G101 uses a thin round-section drive belt which, while it has an excellent wow and rumble performance, does not give enough torque to use a dust-bug or similar tracking record cleaner. Complaints from customers about this resulted in Goldring producing the G102, with a more rubust flat drive belt, to enable a dust bug to be used without slowing the speed. However, the G102 suffered from motor noise as a result.
The N2506 tape deck will undoubtedly have liquorice for drive belts by now!
Closed Thread