UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Feb 2018, 5:12 pm   #1
sianhoskins1
Retired Dormant Member

Default Changing cartridge on 1956 Philips Autosonic Disc Jockey AG1003

Hi I have got a 1956 Philips Autosonic disc jockey and want to change the cartridge to a stereo one so can play stereo records without wrecking them.
What cartridge would you recommend getting?
Thanks
Sian
Old 18th Feb 2018, 8:00 pm   #2
Stylo N M
Heptode

Default Re: Changing cartridge on 1956 Philips Autosonic Disc Jockey AG1003

Hi and welcome to the forums, a compony called musonic stylus may well be your friend, for around £55.00p you may beable to purchase a cartridge with a flip over stylus fitted into it.

However, to get the maximum results from it, both the right and left hand sides of the pick up wire,
must be wired together underneath the pick up arm, useing the centre earth as the ground witch it already is.

But, you may find your new cartridge, a little more heavier than the old one but you may beable to prize off the lead whieght, that's attached to the cartridge they are a bit of a nuicence.

Do you have any soldering skills, electrical skills? Does the record player work to start with? Has the unit been taken out of storage after many years? If it has it may need checking over first, do you have any expearence in this regarding safety, as there are dangerous voltages.

Paul.
Old 18th Feb 2018, 8:01 pm   #3
vinrads
Dekatron

Picture of the cartridge would help to see what would fit , Mick.
Old 18th Feb 2018, 10:25 pm   #4
Audio1950
Dekatron

Here you go. Just scroll down until you come to the Philips 22GP230. There may well be no need to have to do any extra wiring, as the cartridge usually comes with an aluminium "shorting" strip, that parallels out the two channels.

http://www.jvanschaikconsultancy.nl/naald.html
Old 18th Feb 2018, 11:06 pm   #5
Stylo N M
Heptode

Not meaning to differ barry, but i think the shorting bridge may short one of the channels to earth, i think they would need to be parted, as it's a stereo cartridge replacing a mono one.
(Apologies if i am wrong)

Paul.
Old 19th Feb 2018, 8:34 pm   #6
roffe
Hexode

This small piece of paper was accompanying a Philips pickup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Philips shorting bracket pickup.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	157789  
Old 19th Feb 2018, 10:32 pm   #7
Stylo N M
Heptode

Hi roffe, yes that would work fine as long as the opposite insulated pickup lead, isn't connected at the tag board, to the earth braiding witch in my exspirence, in these disc jockey line of players it useually is.

It useually means, eather joining the red and the blue lead together at the tag board, and not useing the bridge, or leaving the blue lead disconected or cut away, and useing the bridge at the tonarm end to bring the two channels together.

I think the pickup head you posted, is intended for an entirly different modol of phlips player, but very interesting input never the less.

Paul.
Old 19th Feb 2018, 10:51 pm   #8
sianhoskins1
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo N M View Post
Do you have any soldering skills, electrical skills? Does the record player work to start with? Has the unit been taken out of storage after many years? If it has it may need checking over first, do you have any experience in this regarding safety, as there are dangerous voltages.
Hey thanks for your reply,, the record player hasn't arrived yet as I bought it on eBay the other day and have been researching more since buying it. I don't have any soldering or electrical skills but my partner has loads so is gonna teach/help me so should be fine. He's currently restoring/upgrading a Sony Boombox. The listing for the record player says the turn table has speed issues and that the auto select doesn't work.

The plan is to upgrade the electronics to modern electronics.
Closed Thread