UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Jul 2013, 9:54 pm   #1
Anthony
Hexode

Default What is it? Can someone kindly identify this mains socket on an HP sig. generator

Could some kind person identify this mains socket from a 1960s HP signal generator (HP620B) (.doc file attached with 2 views). The socket differs from that shown in any of the manuals for this model I have access to. The diameter of the metal threaded section is approximately 3/4 inch. I would much prefer not to replace it. All suggestions gratefully received. Of course it is the plug I am after.
Thank you,
Anthony
Attached Files
File Type: doc Mains Socket.doc (584.0 KB, 184 views)
Old 10th Jul 2013, 10:22 pm   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: What is it? Can someone kindly identify this mains socket on an HP sig. generator

I can't remember the proper name of it, it's just the round plessey connector that was insisted on in some military contracts. I have a 140 scope mainframe with one on the front... but no mains lead to go with it.

David
Old 10th Jul 2013, 11:54 pm   #3
ronbryan
Octode

Default Re: What is it? Can someone kindly identify this mains socket on an HP sig. generator

It's a 3 pole Plessey Mk4 aluminium connector, otherwise known as a Pattern 104.

There is a thread here showing a picture of the cable mounted 'plug' (with socket contacts).

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?p=614234

Ron
Old 11th Jul 2013, 12:33 am   #4
maninashed
Rest in Peace

Its a three pole Plessey military connector, also used on a lot of ex MOD items incl Cossor etc. Getting quite hard to come by, when you need one.
Old 11th Jul 2013, 7:24 am   #5
Anthony
Hexode

Thank you very much. As usual everyone except me is very knowledgeable. Now all I have to do is to find one.
Anthony
Old 11th Jul 2013, 7:28 am   #6
1954Fender
Triode

ronbryan's earlier post is on the money. "Electrojumble" has a good selection of Plessey connectors.

Take care with the orientation of the plugs. I have no connection with Electrojumble other than a satisfied customer, he is most helpful and quick.
Old 11th Jul 2013, 3:27 pm   #7
Anthony
Hexode

Again, thank you all; Electrojumble do seem to have it.
Old 11th Jul 2013, 4:50 pm   #8
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Be aware, too, that the orientation of the insert can be changed with respect to the keyed shell, which requires a special spanner, although you may be able to improvise if necessary.
Old 11th Jul 2013, 5:04 pm   #9
Sean Williams
Dekatron

If you wanted one that was a bit more local you could ask me......
Old 11th Jul 2013, 5:05 pm   #10
Anthony
Hexode

Electrojumble have offered to do this for me against my picture of the male socket. I too have no commercial interest in them but Roy Johnson has been amazingly helpful.
Old 11th Jul 2013, 5:06 pm   #11
Anthony
Hexode

Sean
Very kind of you to offer - next time!
Anthony
Old 11th Jul 2013, 10:33 pm   #12
glowinganode
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by dseymo1 View Post
...which requires a special spanner, although you may be able to improvise if necessary.
I use a pair of thin screwdrivers and an adjustable spanner.
Note the later Plessey Mk7 which look similar but have a green insert have fixed orientation and cannot be adjusted.
Rob.