UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Dec 2011, 12:24 am   #1
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Default Adjusting Ferrograph supply reel tension

I have two mono Ferrographs, a 631 and a 633. The left-hand supply reel tension on the 633 is much tighter than on the 631, and produces flutter towards the end of a spool of tape. Is there a relatively easy mechanical adjustment to correct this, please?

I've searched the Forum but can't find this topic being aired previously. Thanks for any advice.

Phil

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 1st Dec 2011, 1:04 am   #2
TIMTAPE
Octode

Default Re: Adjusting Ferrograph supply reel tension

Sounds like either the brakes are sticking on, or the bearings in the motor need an oil. I think the plain bronze bearings at top and bottom of the reel motors have a small felt disc to retain the oil.
Old 1st Dec 2011, 3:25 pm   #3
BillDWVA
Pentode

If the brake on the supply reel is not sticking - as suggested - it is worth checking that the resistor that is shunted across the left reel motor during playback and record is OK and is actually in circuit. In theory, during play and record modes, both take-up and supply reel motors are placed in series and the supply side motor is shunted to give a torque differential. If the wiring, switch contacts or resistor were open circuit then the back torque would be increased. It is a wirewound resistor mounted off the chassis and should be noticeably hot whilst running. Sorry but I do not have a circuit diagram to hand to give you the circuit reference or value, as I write this.
Hope this helps, Bill.
Old 4th Dec 2011, 6:31 pm   #4
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

All sorted now.

It turns out that, on the model 633 deck the left-hand reel has two brakes, one main brake which is held off in playback and fast wind, plus a second brake which appears to be there simply to apply tension to the supply reel. This second brake is also released in play or fast wind, but is held at all times against the spindle by a light spring. The only means of adjustment seems to be by stretching the coils on the spring, which I have done and the problem has been completely cured.

I also have a model 631, on which the supply reel tension is applied by reverse motor torque in the 'conventional' manner.

It would be interesting to know why Wright and Weare made such a design change between the two models - energy efficiency, perhaps?

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts

Last edited by Phil G4SPZ; 4th Dec 2011 at 6:34 pm. Reason: Removal of repeated words
Closed Thread