UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Dec 2011, 6:11 pm   #1
harleyman75
Retired Dormant Member

Default sony 500 recorder

Hi all, will any 7" reel fit onto the machine---I seem to have 2 posts for the reels to fit on, does anyone know if this is right or am I missing something on machine---thanks for any information---Greg
Old 2nd Dec 2011, 12:47 am   #2
reelguy
Heptode

Default Re: sony 500 recorder

You need two reels !.
These fit on the posts...
One full of tape and the other empty.
The tape needs to be threaded from left to right through the channel containing the heads.
If you google Sony TC 500 recorder ,You should be able to see a pic of the M/c with tape threaded.
Hope that helps.
Peter W...Reelguy
Old 2nd Dec 2011, 3:58 am   #3
harleyman75
Retired Dormant Member

Peter W. ,where do you purchase your tapes and what kind do you purchase.Where would you purchase a empty reel since the tape comes on a reel I'll need a empty one to get the ball rolling. thanks for you input---Greg
Old 2nd Dec 2011, 2:54 pm   #4
brenellic2000
Octode

Tapes should be easily obtainable in the USA - empty spools too (or buy two full spools and unspool one!). Try internet auction sites.

For domestic use on your Sony, the make of tape is not really critical as most were interchangeable (not so for professional studio tapes) but there are three types of tape:
'Standard' - thicker more durable plastic base (Mylar, polyester, PVC 1200ft per 7" spool); Long play (thinner giving double the running time - ideal or domestic use 1800ft) and Double play (double the running time of long play, but not usually recommeded 2400ft). These reflect the thickness of the plastic base. The crucial magnetic coating is the same thickness, regardless. Always go for a glossy backed tape rather than a matt-black backed tape.

US brands differ from European brands where we usually recommend BASF, Agfa, Scotch or the Japanese TDK, Sony, Maxell. The major US brands are Ampex, Scotch or Kodak/Eastman, but there are many contract brands such as those for RadioShack and the like; Concertone, International, American, Shamrock, Irish, Lafayette... some are better than others!

Just be wary of ex-Studio tape sold off cheap - it is past its prime and useless! Also be very wary of tape which has gone 'sticky' - usually matt-black backed studio tape - avoid at all costs! However that said, pre 1970s tape are still very usable as they don't go off.

Experiment and enjoy!

Barry
Old 2nd Dec 2011, 8:26 pm   #5
reelguy
Heptode

Hello Greg,
I haven't bought new or old tapes for a long time.
Most of my tapes came with the various reel recorders I have bought or aquired over the years.
As you are in the USA I would suggest you ask people on the Yahoo groups forum called "reeltoreel" or ask on "Audiokarma.org" for info on places to buy blank tape and empty reels. I think you will find them helpfull.
Charity shops or thrift shops as they are called in the US sometimes have old tapes for sale. As do Yard sales I believe ?
New blank tape etc might be obtainable from " US Media supplies " and a few other firms.
Only buy enough tape to try out the M/c in case it needs restoration which may be expensive. Some reel recorders go back to the early sixties and likely need some TLC.
Hope this helps.
Peter W...Reelguy
Closed Thread