UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Aug 2019, 3:00 pm   #21
ricard
Octode

Default Re: Grundig TK120 tape recorder

Superglue seems excellent for belts, they bond itself is rock hard, and the rubber provides the required resiliency so that the bond doesn't crack, tried cyanoacrylate glue being rather brittle otherwise. I'm not sure how it would be in this case though where the rubber band is used as a tire, thus getting constantly squeezed, thus the bond would be continually pounded every time it comes around.

I wonder if gluing the rubber band to the reel holder with contact glue (or UHU then I suppose) would just be strong enough to stop it wandering off. Contact glue is rather rubbery so could probably take the pounding better than superglue.

Another option would be simply to purchase a new assortments of rubber bands, hoping one of them will be a tight enough fit. Still would probably benefit from glue though.
Old 23rd Aug 2019, 12:22 pm   #22
SteveCG
Nonode

Default Re: Grundig TK120 tape recorder

Ricard, Yes, I had seen the 'glue it to the spool' suggestion earlier. My though was though that if the experiment proved to be a failure I would then have an uneven surface left where residual glue (there is always some that won't quite come off) would mess up the original operation.

I've yet to decide what to do next - so it is a 'round tuit' job now !
Closed Thread