UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Nov 2021, 3:07 pm   #1
Aplagealpaca
Diode

Default Alpage AL-300 only plays 1 channel.

Hi, I need some help! I have no idea where to start so any help is really valued

I bought this beauty and it didn't work at all, and it was really dirty. Anyway I cleaned it and opened it to find out the belt had melted. Through trial and error and watching youtube videos I manage to replace the belt. And it works now! but only in the left channel. Rec button also does nothing.

Now I have no idea if it's something I did or is it something else.

Attached two pictures of the beauty.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P9161112_DxO.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	246048   Click image for larger version

Name:	P9161115_DxO.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	246049  
Old 18th Nov 2021, 6:20 pm   #2
G6ONEDave
Octode

Default Re: Alpage AL-300 only plays 1 channel.

Have you cleaned the record/playback changeover switch on the pcb (assuming that it has one)? Also check the wires to the record/playback head, possibly a broken solder joint.

Dave
Old 18th Nov 2021, 11:55 pm   #3
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Hei and welcome to the Forum.

A very nice looking and complex deck.

I also immediately thought of the Playback/Record switch cleaning but a quick look at the schematic possibly looks like it has electronic signal switching.

David
Old 19th Nov 2021, 10:42 am   #4
G6ONEDave
Octode

Further to my last, it could be a missing earth/ground connection to the right channel record and play sections of the tape head. I could be wrong but the circuit suggests a shared connection either in the wiring or pcb attached to the head. Since the head appears to have seperate rec and play sections, I think it unlikely for the head to have failed, although that can't be ruled out however it is simple enough to check.

After that it looks like voltage and waveform checks through the right channels. Not checked but there might be a shared supply or earth track to the record and play stages in the right channel.

Dave
Old 19th Nov 2021, 10:48 am   #5
vidjoman
Dekatron

The photos appear to show the knobs are at different settings. I think the knob on the line in should be on the master volume position. It also looks like the others are not correctly fitted. I assume that these are dual splined knobs.
Old 19th Nov 2021, 10:50 pm   #6
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

As for the record button doing nothing, check that the anti-erasure tabs on the back of your cassette are intact!
Old 25th Nov 2021, 12:37 pm   #7
Aplagealpaca
Diode

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidjoman View Post
The photos appear to show the knobs are at different settings. I think the knob on the line in should be on the master volume position. It also looks like the others are not correctly fitted. I assume that these are dual splined knobs.
You're right I messed with the buttons. Funny If you check the old promo photos from https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_li...e/al-300.shtml
the big button can be in output level or in REC level.
Old 25th Nov 2021, 12:46 pm   #8
Aplagealpaca
Diode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6ONEDave View Post
Since the head appears to have seperate rec and play sections, I think it unlikely for the head to have failed, although that can't be ruled out however it is simple enough to check.

Dave
Thank you for the reply. How do I check if the head has failed?
Old 6th Dec 2021, 11:53 am   #9
Aplagealpaca
Diode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6ONEDave View Post
Have you cleaned the record/playback changeover switch on the pcb (assuming that it has one)? Also check the wires to the record/playback head, possibly a broken solder joint.

Dave
This was it. Thank you so much for the help everyone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PC060159_DxO.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	247371  
Closed Thread