UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Aug 2021, 5:04 pm   #1
hugozair
Triode

Default MyManuals.net

A warning ! My Toshiba tv is old but not vintage. I wanted a user manual in a rush and it's no longer on the Toshiba downloads page. In a rush I followed the best hit which was www.MyManuals.net. I quickly entered the make/model number and paid by card.
First I received and email saying I would receive it in 5 minutes. Then another saying they needed "more info"; the make & model number (already given) Then another saying they didn't have it. I requested a refund but was told I'd signed up for a 3 day "trial period" of their services which if I didn't cancel would cost sic: "£24.90. monthly !
This subscription is automatically renewed as a paid service at the
end of your 3 days trial period."
On reflection the panel offering the 3 day trial looks like an option. They will take your money before checking if they have the manual you want, and if you don't realise in time how they operate you'll be paying via your card. Be careful dealing with these people.
Old 15th Aug 2021, 5:08 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: MyManuals.net

Sounds like a similar scam to this one:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=179477

Maybe you should have typed:

www.MyManual.net

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 15th Aug 2021, 5:26 pm   #3
hugozair
Triode

After reading the above I checked out mymanual.net (without the "s") but in that case, it's a domain name for sale .. But I wish I'd seen that earlier post - I wouldn't have been in such a hurry to order !
Old 15th Aug 2021, 5:44 pm   #4
pmmunro
Octode

This sounds like a case to take up with the card provider. The manuals site is probably relying on this being too much trouble over £3, an old trick.

PMM
Old 15th Aug 2021, 9:45 pm   #5
Radio Wrangler

The law is very slow and doesn't see three quid as a significant crime, but once the card companies see it as something taking significant effort from them in a repetitive fashion, then they will pull the plug pronto. Taking it up with them is an essential thing to do.

David
Old 16th Aug 2021, 9:42 am   #6
hugozair
Triode

The actual charge for the manual was only £1.49. But their intention was to retain that because that was also the charge of the 3 day trial for their "Premium" service. You obviously don't need to click the "subscribe" button to be be trapped.
I was persistent in demanding a refund and so far they have not taken the payment. But I also did contact my bank who said I would have to wait until money was taken and then report it as fraud for them to take action.(or cancel the card) Not impressed with that either. I don't know if they actually do have a data base of "thousands" of manuals so they may not be scammers but they are a company using very sharp practice.
Old 16th Aug 2021, 2:12 pm   #7
ionburn
Heptode

Looking into the terms and conditions - They do seem to be very badly written but do state your rights. You have the 14 days to cancel.

It does seem that they are only providing the search service and don't actually hold anything themselves so you may not get anything more than a good internet search would produce. As such they may not be breaking any copyright laws themselves but seem to be sailing very close to the wind.

Personally I didn't go far as they attempt to grab your email even before showing any goods whatsoever (which as I have said - They don't appear to have anyway).
Closed Thread