UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Old 12th Jan 2024, 10:17 pm   #1
moonman88
Diode

Default Mitsubishi DVR620 - Strange scanlines affecting image

Hi all,

I have a VCR related question I am looking to get some input on.

I have a Mitsubishi DVR620 combined VHS/DVDR unit, I know this is going to be considered fairly modern by this forums standards but hoping somebody can give me some opinions on what could be happening.

After unseizing the drum motor (a common issue on this model apparently) and cleaning the heads I am now able to play tapes and have a really nice looking picture outputting through HDMI.

However, on some tapes, I get strange scanlines affecting the entire image, almost as if it is flicking from interlaced to progressive.

If I enable the OSD I can see that sometimes they are also being affected, but other times they seem ok.

Does anybody have any idea what could be causing this? Some tapes are unaffected and others it happens intermittently every few seconds. Could it be something to do with the control track reading head?

I have attached some images demonstrating what I am seeing...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	signal-2024-01-12-161045_006.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	290913   Click image for larger version

Name:	signal-2024-01-12-161045_005.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	290914   Click image for larger version

Name:	signal-2024-01-12-161132_002.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	290915  
moonman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jan 2024, 8:00 pm   #2
John123
Heptode

Default Re: Mitsubishi DVR620 - Strange scanlines affecting image

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

This could be some sort of frame jitter, possibly because the head was seized, and perhaps isn't running as smoothly as it once did. Double-check the drum bearings; it should make barely any noise when rotated by hand, and the head should 'free-wheel' a little.

Also give the entire tape path a thoroughly good clean, paying particular attention to the lower drum, pinch roller/ capstan, and take-up reel/ brake. Check the condition of the back-tension band on the supply reel.

Then let it play a few tapes from start-to-end as it might clear up with use. Also check PSU caps as Mitsubishi machines were a little notorious for leaky caps in the power supply.

Last edited by John123; 13th Jan 2024 at 8:04 pm. Reason: Extra note about the PSU.
John123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jan 2024, 4:49 pm   #3
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Interesting.
By any chance, are the affected tapes commercial movies with Macrovision® copy protection?
Graham G3ZVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jan 2024, 8:21 pm   #4
whaka54
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonman88 View Post
almost as if it is flicking from interlaced to progressive.
hello,

it's indeed what happen, it's an artifacting of interlaced content.
but very likely because vertical sync is unstable, and internal TBC of the DVR try to stabilize as best as it could.

if you can try on a CRT to see if there's vertical instabilities?
it might be tape itself if there's damage in the VBI portion, or mechanical issue.

Last edited by whaka54; 14th Jan 2024 at 8:31 pm.
whaka54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jan 2024, 8:23 pm   #5
gallowfields
Hexode

another problem with most mitsubishi vcr,s that i have seen over the years is loose tape guides [there are no securing screws on them ] its quite possible to be just a shade out of spec . i used to reset all the ones we had with an official prerecorded tape [usually a warner one as a matter of interest] obviously with the tracking in mid position.
brian
gallowfields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jan 2024, 5:52 pm   #6
samjmann
Heptode

I take it all is well with the display of DVD sourced material?

As pointed out tape path can be a problem. Move the tracking control each side of centre and see if you can induce the fault. The drum lead-in is where this problem could be. Noisey/low signal may affect the interlace etc.
Old 16th Jan 2024, 6:22 pm   #7
Red to black
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowfields View Post
another problem with most mitsubishi vcr,s that i have seen over the years is loose tape guides [there are no securing screws on them ] its quite possible to be just a shade out of spec . i used to reset all the ones we had with an official prerecorded tape [usually a warner one as a matter of interest] obviously with the tracking in mid position.
brian
Not quite true, yes the the earlier machines could and did often suffer from loose guides, the securing screw/s were however at the bottom of the guide/slant pole diecast bit with the allen screw ( the actual securing screw) unlike the JVC decks of the same era, I must admit I thought the same until I had cause to buy a manual for a Mitsubishi HS302
Old 16th Jan 2024, 8:20 pm   #8
gallowfields
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red to black View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowfields View Post
brian
Not quite true, yes the the earlier machines could and did often suffer from loose guides, the securing screw/s were however at the bottom of the guide/slant pole diecast bit with the allen screw ( the actual securing screw) unlike the JVC decks of the same era, I must admit I thought the same until I had cause to buy a manual for a Mitsubishi HS302
all the jvc decks of that era certainly did have a securing screw at the bottom of the tape guide assy usu ally needed a very small watchmakers philips driver unlike the sharp ones where you needed the 1.27mm allen keys
brian
Old 16th Jan 2024, 8:27 pm   #9
Red to black
Nonode

Yes the JVC decks did have the securing screw at the bottom of the guide not disputing that at all, maybe I badly phrased it in my earlier post?, the Mitsubishi ones were an allen screw in the bottom of the diecast pole piece is what I was trying to say, just a slightly different way between the two makers but they both did have means of securing the guides from unscrewing just the Mitsubishi version was not as obvious as the JVC machines if this helps

Last edited by Red to black; 16th Jan 2024 at 8:35 pm.
Red to black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jan 2024, 4:55 pm   #10
gallowfields
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red to black View Post
Yes the JVC decks did have the securing screw at the bottom of the guide not disputing that at all, maybe I badly phrased it in my earlier post?, the Mitsubishi ones were an allen screw in the bottom of the diecast pole piece is what I was trying to say, just a slightly different way between the two makers but they both did have means of securing the guides from unscrewing just the Mitsubishi version was not as obvious as the JVC machines if this helps
HI, i understood you meant that the jvc vcr,s of that era did not have securing screws .anyway i think we are both on the same page now . i think the problem with the mitsubishi is probably down to the entry guide being slightly out . but i usually checked both in all vcr,s and resecured them