UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Oct 2011, 8:14 pm   #1
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile TY80F EHT rectifier. (Actually a TY86F).

Hi,
Browsing t'internet last night while looking for info about an EY82, I was reminded of the TY80F that was designed specifically for certain models of Ferguson TV.
Why was this special valve necessary and what was so peculiar about the TV that a special valve had to be designed? Also, what was different about this valve?
They even came with a sticky label for the benefit of future engineer's visits.
Thanks in advance.
Cheers, Pete
Old 19th Oct 2011, 8:20 pm   #2
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: TY80F EHT rectifier

The TY86F was produced by Mullard for the Ferguson 306T 17" receiver of 1956. The original LOPT's heater winding produced excessive voltage that led to early failure of the EY86 EHT rectifier. The EY86 is 6.3v and the TY86F is 7.5v Later LOPT's were downrated to correct heater supply. Regards, John.
Old 19th Oct 2011, 8:23 pm   #3
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: TY80F EHT rectifier

Hi,
Thanks for that. Ah, it was just excessive heater voltage then. I meant TY86F, my mistake, sorry.
Cheers, Pete
Old 19th Oct 2011, 9:11 pm   #4
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: TY80F EHT rectifier

I saw those too and wondered what they were, but there was some info in r-type.org which gave the heater volts as 7.5 which explained the "T", so I just thought "he'll be lucky to shift those" and moved on.

I suppose if you buy enough, a special valve works out cheaper than adding a resistor to solve a design "oops".
.........O..Chris....O
Old 19th Oct 2011, 10:51 pm   #5
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Default Re: TY80F EHT rectifier. (Actually a TY86F).

I learn something every day on here, I never came across one of those in all my years in the trade.

Peter
Old 20th Oct 2011, 8:15 am   #6
Sideband
Dekatron

Likewise!!! and I've repaired T306's and T308's in the past. A really huge CRT in the 308 as I recall.

SB
Old 20th Oct 2011, 12:50 pm   #7
ms660
Dekatron

I seem to remember from my TV days that some EHT valve base assemblies had a series resistor built in for the heater...am I remembering right?

Lawrence.
Old 20th Oct 2011, 1:12 pm   #8
Sideband
Dekatron

Yes they did. Usually a couple of ohms or so....maybe a bit less.

SB
Old 20th Oct 2011, 1:20 pm   #9
ms660
Dekatron

Thanks SB, I thought so..usually covered in black spikey dust.

Lawrence.
Old 20th Oct 2011, 8:57 pm   #10
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Yes there were resistors fitted including the 306T! Must have been a design slip up and Ferguson were a big customer of Mullard so sticking a higher voltage heater assembly into an EY86 was no sweat. It would have been an unbelievably nasty job to pull the cabinet off and fit a higher value resistor in the EHT valve holder. Stink of melted Nylon with subsequent arcing! J.
Old 23rd Jun 2014, 12:20 pm   #11
Ronaykay
Retired Dormant Member

Ronaykay
I was an engineer with Boyd's (part of the GUS group) at that time....All 306's in stock had to be modified due to the design error, initially by increasing the series resistor, later by fitting the TY86F Good TV though.
Closed Thread