UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Oct 2011, 4:42 pm   #1
Tenorclef
Retired Dormant Member

Default Bush DAC90A Colours?

Hi all, I have a question pertaining to the colour variants of the Bush DAC90A.

I've been reliably informed that this radio came in at least fours colours-

Brown
White
Ivory
Black

I've never seen a black one with the exception of the DAC90 which was the earlier model however apparently there is one although could not locate one via Google.

So.........does any one have any links to a photo of the black one?

Cheers,

TC.
Old 2nd Oct 2011, 10:28 pm   #2
Tenorclef
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Bush DAC90A Colours?

Thought I'd found a black one but its probably just a dark brown model. Might consider painting one of my DAC90A's gloss black.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bush.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	56844  
Old 2nd Oct 2011, 10:28 pm   #3
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

I may well be wrong but I have never seen a black DAC90A, black DAC90 yes. Are the white and Ivory the same? and the brown many vairiations but only in the knobs and scale colour. I think one or two red ones were original and plenty of DIY colours. John
Old 2nd Oct 2011, 10:38 pm   #4
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

I think white and ivory are indeed one and the same colour, as is cream - another variation commonly quoted. I suppose it's all down to how different people interpret the colour.

I recall once reading somewhere that it isn't technically possible to manufacture true white Urea Formaldehyde but I don't know.
Old 2nd Oct 2011, 11:05 pm   #5
Tenorclef
Retired Dormant Member

Ah yes I think my reliable source may be mistaken. It's quite possible/likely that the white/ivory model is one and the same and more to do with light exposure overtime changing the colouring.

I had a nice chat tonight with a fellow forum member called Boom and he said he's painted 3 DAC90A's in blue red and pink! So I think my idea of painting a DAC90A gloss black quite possible. I do rather like the look of those older black DAC90 models but think the the DAC90A's are more robust and reliable radios from what I have been advised and read.
Old 2nd Oct 2011, 11:30 pm   #6
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

I think Boom did that with cabinets which had been damaged in some way or other, which is a good way of saving what may otherwise be a scrapper.

Assuming your radios are undamaged, it would seem a shame to repaint one; not least because should you ever decide to sell it, potential buyers would be suspicious of why it's been painted. Of course, it's entirely up to you.

In the picture attached to post #2, it does indeed appear to be a black example. However, I've just fiddled with the image on my PC and the radio is, it transpires, almost certainly a brown 'walnut' effect example.
Old 3rd Oct 2011, 9:18 am   #7
Tenorclef
Retired Dormant Member

Ah well the Radio Workshop ran by Ray, he seems certain that the DAC90A was available in black so perhaps it was?
Old 3rd Oct 2011, 12:58 pm   #8
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

My understanding was that the early DAC90 was black and that was all. That said I have seen DAC90as on sale as black but, like Darren, think they are actually very dark brown.

I too have heard that Bush made small numbers of other coloured ones, probably painted, for promotional purposes.

As for painting, why not? You're free to do what you like with your own property and even if you 'spoil' an otherwise good one they certainly aren't rare and most paints can be stripped off Bakelite. It may be worth appealing for a damaged case though.

- Joe
Old 3rd Oct 2011, 8:42 pm   #9
mark pirate
Dekatron

I have all five variants of these sets, DAC90, black, brown and cream.
DAC90A, brown and cream.

Quote:
I had a nice chat tonight with a fellow forum member called Boom and he said he's painted 3 DAC90A's in blue red and pink!
I have the same intentions with a DAC10 with a repaired cabinet, I did a maroon one a while ago, this one is going to be in cream

Mark

Last edited by Darren-UK; 3rd Oct 2011 at 11:43 pm. Reason: "&" replaced by "and" to avoid confusion.
Old 3rd Oct 2011, 8:57 pm   #10
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

I have a TV22 cabinet here with a slight split on top. I am toying with the idea of a bright pink TV22 working of course!
Old 7th Oct 2011, 10:11 am   #11
Tenorclef
Retired Dormant Member

The one on the far left looks decidedly black no?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BUSH-DAC90A.jpg
Views:	652
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	57028  
Old 7th Oct 2011, 10:25 am   #12
yestertech
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
I am toying with the idea of a bright pink TV22 working of course!
Now that I would LOVE to see !!
Andy
Old 7th Oct 2011, 10:44 am   #13
Radio_Dave
Nonode

The Bush DAC90A was only available in two colours, cream or brown. I've attached the relevant part of the Trader Sheet
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bush.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	57034  
Old 7th Oct 2011, 12:52 pm   #14
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

I've got the original Bush data and that's dated April 1950. Curiously, the Part Numbers list states the cabinet as being Part No. AP.17113; 'curious' because this implies that at that time, 04/50, only one cabinet colour was available. Logic dictates that the cream cabinet would have a different part number, so cream cabinets must've been introduced later.

What date is given on the Trader sheet? Also, if anyone has the Bush data downloaded from VRSD is this also the April 1950 edition or a later update? Somewhere along the line there must surely have been another part number issued for the cream cabinet.

If a black 90A cabinet did exist, then I'd imagine these would've been very early examples following on from DAC90 production. Nevertheless I'm not convinced any ever existed and, whilst remembering Trader sheets aren't always noted for their accuracy, feel confident that brown/walnut and cream were indeed the only two available.
Old 7th Oct 2011, 1:06 pm   #15
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Hi Darren, The date of the Trader Sheet is September 1954. I also have a scan of the 1952 Bush catalogue and the DAC90A is described as having a "brown figured cabinet" or a cream one (at a higher price).

David
Old 7th Oct 2011, 1:09 pm   #16
kalee20
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_Dave View Post
The Bush DAC90A was only available in two colours, cream or brown. I've attached the relevant part of the Trader Sheet
... which may well have been the case when the Trader sheet was published, however Bush may have subsequently decided to offer more colours / do a limited 'special edition' etc. After all, they changed the knob styles during the production run.
Old 7th Oct 2011, 1:34 pm   #17
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

So we can safely deduce that the cream version appeared between April 1950 and sometime during 1952.

Early 90A's with cloth grilles are known to exist and, following on from my waffle in #14, this was presumably a throwover from DAC90 production. It's therefore not unreasonable to wonder if black cabinets also threw over from 90 production. As before though, I remain sceptical.
Old 7th Oct 2011, 1:40 pm   #18
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Ah, I've just come across this site where black DAC90A's are mentioned.
Old 7th Oct 2011, 7:20 pm   #19
Tenorclef
Retired Dormant Member

I'm inclined to defer to Ray Heffer at the Radio Workshop......this guy has probably seen more DAC90A's than most guys. If HE says the DAC90A was available in black I'd assume this is because he has seen them on his work bench over the years.....
Old 7th Oct 2011, 9:29 pm   #20
Radio_Dave
Nonode

I'm afraid that until I see photographic evidence, I won't believe Bush ever made a black DAC90A

David
Closed Thread