UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Jun 2010, 10:48 pm   #21
tedzed1
Hexode

Default Re: Blaupunkt Nizza 21200 capacitor?

Hello again,some progress has been made, replaced R701 1k resistor as it had burnt up at some stage, and when a length of wire is attached to pin7 of the ECH81, it receves faint stations on MW, SW, and longwave, but nothing on FM.
Old 16th Jun 2010, 11:02 pm   #22
Steve_P
Dekatron

Good. Now that means that it's the antenna circuit, which has been mucked about with. So, the next thing to do is try and put this right.

There are some pictures here...

http://www.richardsradios.co.uk/blaupunkt.html

Blow them up and see if you can see where things go, and check the wiring below as well. Has anyone got one of these and can help, I wonder?

For VHF, try an external aerial - you may be lucky.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 17th Jun 2010, 12:09 am   #23
Herald1360
Dekatron

If trying the wire trick let smoke out, are you sure that the two wires were not connected? The trick is that two separate lengths of insulated wire are twisted together with the insulation still on, so that the copper becomes the plates of the capacitor and the insulation, the dielectric. As mentioned above, since the capacitor is shunting the input to the ECH81, it won't be 1nF; 1pF is far more plausible. Caps with nF values seem to be identified by a "T" after the significant figures.

In any case, if C701 was shorted, R701 could suffer- R701 is the HT feed to the anode of the ECH81 via the IFT primaries and it looks like some settings of the switches connect the grid of the ECH81 to deck
.........O..Chris....O
Old 17th Jun 2010, 12:46 am   #24
tedzed1
Hexode

Hi, just been having a look, this is a strange one, will try to trace antenna circuit tomorrow, i was getting a bad hum on KW, and some at each end of the MW band, but diconnected the capacitor that i substituted for a 1000pf (C701) and the hum has stopped, but still getting reception with a short piece of wire on pin 7 of ECH81

Paul
Old 17th Jun 2010, 12:51 am   #25
tedzed1
Hexode

Thanks Chris, i understand now what you mean, yes i did bridge the two points with a piece of wire. somehow i when i was soldering it, i thaught i was doing somthing wrong.

spot the newbie

Paul
Old 17th Jun 2010, 12:55 pm   #26
Herald1360
Dekatron

Hopefully no harm has come to the ECH81- the other possible path to chassis for R701 via C701 would be a grid -cathode flashover in the valve
.........O..Chris....O
Old 17th Jun 2010, 1:11 pm   #27
tedzed1
Hexode

Hiya Chris, thankfully the ECH81 has survived,have just found a capacitor of the same type under the chasis on the switch panel, will try to measure it tonight.

Regards Paul
Old 17th Jun 2010, 1:34 pm   #28
Steve_P
Dekatron

If it's picking up signals then it probably is OK. The next problem is that antenna coil and it's wiring. This is part of the antenna or aerial circuit and without this being right then you will get nowt.

Sort this out and then try it

Cheers.,

Steve P.
Old 26th Jun 2010, 7:23 pm   #29
tedzed1
Hexode

Hello everyone, not felt like messing around for the last Few days due to ill health, (both my chrohn's and arthritis decided to flare up at the same time), so finally sat down to try again today.
feeling well refreshed, sat down and tried to work out the antenna circuit, how difficult can three wires be, tried various combinations with no success, so decided to check to swith contacts again, to see if i missed anything,
newbie mistake no 149 had been made, what i had seen as four tone buttons, were infact three, the first button being marked F.ANT, so no need to say what i called myself, so now we had LW, MW & SW working, but as yet no FM, this was quickly remidied by a replacment ECC85, so now working across all wavebands fine, (yes steve p, you were correct, it sounds a cracking set) the only problem is the tuning indicator, which is a EM87, i have not got a spare, but i have two surplus EM84's. can i substitute with one of these, without too many modifications?

Regards Paul.

P.S i did not need to replace C 701, the set works fine without it.
Old 26th Jun 2010, 7:35 pm   #30
Steve_P
Dekatron

The EM84 has a greater voltage range. Otherwise, yes you can.

http://www.r-type.org/exhib/aad0128.htm

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 28th Jun 2010, 6:25 pm   #31
tedzed1
Hexode

Its finally working, and it sounds great,

THANKS EVERYONE, could not have managed it without your help,

Regards Paul.