UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Aug 2010, 11:06 am   #21
radiozero
Hexode

Default Re: Mullard MAS 407/15 for "homebrew" construction

Hi. Thanks a lot for posting the pictures, they are invaluable.

I'm tempted to restore this "Master" radio to her former glory, including of course a copied Mullard cabinet. But, I don't think I have the time, so if she is going to saved at all it will be up to someone to take on that task. Someone who will take on the cabinet build. Not too great a task in my opinion.

It's a Mullard set, but when I look at the Philips 681A I think it looked like that cabinet! I wonder if the Mullard 407/15 ever was in the Philips cabinet. I could be mistaken, my mind could be playing tricks. It would probably be kosher in that Mullard cabinet style anyway even if it was in a Philips style cabinet originally. My radio is 407/15 BTW.

Those bit's from the 681A could come in handy if anything is missing. I wonder if it has that smaller transformer on it that feeds the EM33.

So, this "Master " radio is most definitely fully restorable, all it takes is someone with a will to take it on and some assistance from someone willing to assist with the cabinet building.
Old 15th Aug 2010, 11:29 am   #22
radiozero
Hexode

Another thing, someone might be saying why bother with restoring this particular Mullard 407/15, when there is a Philips 681A at "Hoveradio's" place that could be restorable. :c) Can't the Mullard be used to restore the Philips, some might be thinking. At least there is some sort of cabinet left with the 681A at "Hoveradio's" place.
Old 15th Aug 2010, 12:15 pm   #23
Retired
Heptode

Hi Radiozero,

Would you be willing to sell the chassis as I'm a sucker for basket cases and in particular enjoy a wooden cabinet challenge.

It would make a super project because it involves not only making a cabinet but goes into veneering and finishing as well. I'm already in the middle of a large project but once this is completed then I'm free to take something else on.

Here's a sample of my work for interest.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ght=philco+84b

Kind regards, Col.
Old 15th Aug 2010, 12:58 pm   #24
radiozero
Hexode

Hi. It does need someone like you, someone with the time, patience and skill to restore the set to as it was. As a chassis, it probably was one of the best performers in it's day. As the title of this thread intimates, I am tempted to use the parts for a dandy home-brew short-wave receiver. It has LW thru MW, and all the traditional SW bands have their own scale, right down to the 11m band. There needs to be I think a reliance on someone to show how the original cabinet was put together and dimensions. It looks a fairly simple cabinet though.

If I sell, I'm wondering how. Say there are 5 people who say they would like to restore it and are keen to take it on, do I select one of these to sell to, put in on Ebay and let highest bidder walk away with it, or what! I'm a bit unsure what to do here. :c)

[Edit]: Oh, you are close by near Huddersfield! Hey that's good. :c) Perhaps I should choose you because you are close by. I can bring it and visit your place. :c)

Last edited by radiozero; 15th Aug 2010 at 1:05 pm.
Old 15th Aug 2010, 1:03 pm   #25
Steve_P
Dekatron

If you look further down this forum, there is a section called Sets and Parts For Disposal (or something like that.)

Put it on there with a price (or free!) and cost of packing / postage if it goes to somebody by post or courier and the first reply gets it.

Just my idea.... Glad it's going to be saved.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 15th Aug 2010, 2:16 pm   #26
Retired
Heptode

Hi Radiozero,

It's entirely your choice. I'm not interested in starting a bidding war as I only see it as a challenge and it would involve a considerable amount of time to sort the chassis and make a new cabinet from scratch; making a cabinet would not be cheap and the completed set wouldn't be worth a great deal.

I think I'll walk away from this one and wish you every luck with whatever you do decide to do with it.

You are most welcome if you wish to pay me a visit and of course should you decide to go the new cabinet route then I'm happy to offer advice.

If you wish to try to make a profit by selling then Steve-P has given sound advice.

Kind regards, Col.
Old 15th Aug 2010, 2:42 pm   #27
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Post Re: Mullard MAS 407/15 for "homebrew" construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiozero View Post
I junked the case.
How was this done, is it unretrievable? At the least it could have been used as a pattern.
Old 15th Aug 2010, 4:20 pm   #28
radiozero
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiozero View Post
I junked the case.
How was this done, is it unretrievable? At the least it could have been used as a pattern.
The thing is I don't like to see "rats nest" wiring. I'll see a radio and say to myself, "I can refashion that with a solid 3mm chassis, and all put the wiring at right angles".

Take this Mullard set: I said to myself "wow what a wiring mess". "I know - rubbish the cabinet (I chucked it) and the chassis and redesign the set - but keep the dial and the L.S."

That's my weakness. :c) I have my own view about what looks good and how things could be made. But, I end up destroying perfectly good sets.

But If I'd have known how rare-ish, this set was, I might have not done what I did.

Last edited by radiozero; 15th Aug 2010 at 4:29 pm.
Old 15th Aug 2010, 5:40 pm   #29
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Post Re: Mullard MAS 407/15 for "homebrew" construction

An unusual approach to restoring radios Sometimes wiring is done to give a specific performance and cannot be like the old type exposed radios with wires that where solid and fitted more like copper pipe work than wiring.
Old 15th Aug 2010, 5:46 pm   #30
radiozero
Hexode

Question: How much is this radio worth if it was restored with a new built cabinet? Anybody know?
Old 15th Aug 2010, 7:11 pm   #31
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Answer, about £40-80 if you are lucky.

Im going to be extremely blunt now.

Your attitude to collectable equipment stinks - I fail to see how you will improve a set if your only intention is to destroy what you already have.

Frankly, the method in which you choose to dispose of this delightful chassis, and once delightful set is your own business, but this forum is not here for you to start a bidding war for a set that you have single handedly destroyed, mentioning the appearance on eBay contravenes forum rules and will earn you no favours with the management.

I am closing this thread, this site is centred on restoration, your methods appear alien to this concept - if you wish to repost an offer to sell in the correct section, feel free.

Sean
A very angry Forum Moderator