UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Feb 2019, 1:43 pm   #1
Captain Jack
Diode

Default Panasonic VCF NV-HS1000 issue

After two years, my fancy Panny VCR (NV-HS1000) seems to have given up the ghost. I haven't used it for about 6 months - being in the loft, but I am now getting very poor image and out of phase colours.

It seems to have been doing this intermittently in the past but a power cycle usually resolved. Now, nothing helps. I am assuming it's the knackered head but that's based on no knowledge at all. I tried cleaning this as per YouBoobs but no difference.

It's still an expensive VCR to buy working so would rather try fixing this somehow. Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2019-02-09 11.44.24.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	178092  
Old 9th Feb 2019, 5:17 pm   #2
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Default Re: Panasonic VCF NV-HS1000 issue

Have you selected PAL with the PAL/NTSC/SECAM button?
Old 9th Feb 2019, 6:31 pm   #3
John123
Heptode

Default Re: Panasonic VCF NV-HS1000 issue

Assuming it's not setting or clogged video head related, it's likely to be capacitor issues. Panasonic had a preference for SMD capacitors on the video processing boards in their high-end machines, so it's highly likely they have gone bad and leaked.

I'd first try leaving a (known-good) tape running for an hour or so, as it may improve with use - also a quick 'n' easy method of 'cleaning' the heads should they be clogged..no I did not say quick 'n' lazy. Ahem!

Either way, I think you're still looking at some sort of repair or maintenance further down the line. Even ten years ago these machines were getting quite long in the tooth, and they do tend to go wrong even when sitting idle. Some say that lack of use can be a contributing factor with anything electro-mechanical in nature, but I digress..

Last edited by John123; 9th Feb 2019 at 6:45 pm.
Closed Thread