UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Aug 2007, 9:39 am   #1
wireful3
Retired Dormant Member

Default VEF Transistor 10 dial cleaning.

Can anyone give advice on cleaning the dial on a Russian VEF Transistor Ten?

It has a blemish that looks like a wrinkled patch of lacquer on the surface. If it was perspex, as all the printing is on the back I would be fairly happy to try and polish it away but the material looks a bit odd and I am concerned that it might be affected by solvents or other liquids in the polish.
I can't guess what caused it and it is not easy to see if it is on the surface or whether something has splashed on the dial and reacted with it.

As it is not very obvious I don't want to do anything to make it worse. Any advice will be appreciated.
Old 11th Aug 2007, 12:02 pm   #2
howard
Nonode

Default Re: VEF Dial material

Hello wireful,

The VEF Transistor dial is thin perspex - I'd be inclined not to use anything stronger than white spirit on it though to remove the blemish. Also try polishing it out with car polish and finish off with Pledge or Mr. Sheen.

Howard
Old 11th Aug 2007, 12:27 pm   #3
wireful3
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the information Howard.
I feel much more confident now to have a go at it . It is such a thin looking blemish that I will have try polishing first before trying any solvent but if this fails I will see what white spirit does.
Regards
Old 12th Aug 2007, 8:13 am   #4
wireful3
Retired Dormant Member

I treated the dial as perspex. White spirit as a solvent for the blemish had no effect, so I polished it away with Brasso. This was quite effective and as expected had no odd effects on the surface.

My problem is solved so many thanks Howard and the Mods can now close the thread.
Closed Thread