UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Aug 2007, 3:32 pm   #1
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Default Roberts R606 Speaker Grille

Could anyone advise on the correct way to remove the metal grille from the case of a Roberts R606, please?

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 31st Aug 2007, 3:53 pm   #2
wireful3
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Roberts R606 Speaker Grille

It is necessary to remove the top and bottom trim strips first . These are a press fit into the case. Then the main grille is glued in place. Care must be taken not to introduce folds into the trim or the grille.

I have had success by following hints I received on here.

The first tip was to ease a steel rule under the length of the trim to give it support while it is carefully removed. I then followed Howard's advice and softened the glue with a hair dryer. The grille came away fairly easily without bending. Perhaps I was lucky.

Maybe others will have other suggestions in case next time I need to do it I am not as lucky.

Best of Luck
Old 31st Aug 2007, 8:50 pm   #3
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireful3 View Post
It is necessary to remove the top and bottom trim strips first . These are a press fit into the case. Then the main grille is glued in place. Care must be taken not to introduce folds into the trim or the grille.

I have had success by following hints I received on here.

The first tip was to ease a steel rule under the length of the trim to give it support while it is carefully removed. I then followed Howard's advice and softened the glue with a hair dryer. The grille came away fairly easily without bending. Perhaps I was lucky.

Best of Luck
Thanks. Now, in case you haven't already guessed, the reason I want the grille off is to get it back to its original state of satin-aluminium and black stripey finish. Much of the black paint has come off, casting a shabbiness on an otherwise tidy set (apart from the chrome trim-disc missing from the top of the AFC button).

My first thought was just to prime the aluminium (after removing the remaining paint) and spray it all black. Then I got to thinking how I could get the thin black lines in, as it was originally. Any suggestions on this? If I were to use a candle or wax-crayon and a ruler, and rub wax in thin strips before painting, then melt off the wax, would this work?

Any paint suggestions? Plasti-Cote? Vehicle aerosol spray?

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 31st Aug 2007, 9:01 pm   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Personally, I'd remove all the black paint (with an old pan scourer and some Cif/Jif) and leave it at that

Worked well for my Hacker Democrat which suffered from the same problem.

Last edited by Nickthedentist; 31st Aug 2007 at 9:21 pm.
Old 31st Aug 2007, 9:19 pm   #5
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

One way of doing it would be to use some fine masking tape, something suitable seems to be available here:-

http://www.pinstripinguk.com/tapes.htm

Do Roberts still stock new grilles for these sets?

Regards, Mick.
Old 31st Aug 2007, 10:50 pm   #6
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickjjo View Post
One way of doing it would be to use some fine masking tape, something suitable seems to be available here:-

http://www.pinstripinguk.com/tapes.htm
Interesting! - Seems as if it should do the job... I shall reconsider when I've got shot of all the remaining paint and scrubbed the grille down.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 1st Sep 2007, 8:41 am   #7
wireful3
Retired Dormant Member

I have a recollection that when pcbs were being introduced, draftsmen had reels of very narrow tape. This was used to produce master drawings with tracks thicker than drawing pens would produce. Some of the widths were very close to the width of the bright bars on these grilles.

They may not still available but as I have never had the nerve to try this I have not looked. So far my sets are either disasters and I replaced the whole grille from a basket case or only slightly blemished. Perhaps I should persevere a bit more as using these as a mask should make spray painting feasible.
Old 1st Sep 2007, 8:46 am   #8
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

I did this with a Hacker using masking tape, which I stuck on a glass sheet, marked the ends and ran a ruler and knife down to get the narrow strips.

I was thinking that there might be other ways of achieving this - there used to be (and maybe still is?) something called Circuitape. This was a black adhesive tape used for masking PCBs prior to etching them. You then pulled it off.

Maybe this could be used as a permanent black stripe, or used as a resist to spray the grille black?
Old 3rd Sep 2007, 7:13 pm   #9
Andy Day
Pentode

Hi,

I did this masking job on my R600 using 3mm car trim tape from my local car accessory shop - it was old stock however, I don't know if they make it for cars now. Alternatively a model shop would probably have it, used on model planes.

Don't bother removing the grill, I did mine in situ, just masked the rest of the radio thoroughly. I used RS matt finish paint and then gave it a final coat of clear lacquer. DO HOWEVER REMOVE THE MASKING WHEN THE PAINT IS STILL DAMP, THE PAINT WILL FLAKE OTHERWISE!