UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Aug 2007, 11:01 am   #1
newtothis
Retired Dormant Member

Unhappy Bush VHF61 control knobs.

Hi,
Needs some knobs for the above. The ones i have are really naff. Anybody help.?
Alan

Last edited by Darren-UK; 24th Aug 2007 at 10:19 pm. Reason: Title made more specific.
Old 14th Aug 2007, 12:02 pm   #2
TimS
Pentode

Default Re: Bush VHF61

In what way are they 'naff' ?!

The concentric knobs for volume and tuning tend to warp with age and stick against each other. This is easily solved though.
1. Remove knobs (a hole in the tone knob lines up when in the right place with a grub screw that releases the volume knob which in turn allows the tone knob to be pulled off).
2. File the rear of the volume knob flat.
3. If the knobs were also rubbing around the circumference of the volume knob then file this or the inside of the tone knob as appropriate.

I did number (3) until I realised that actually (2) was more of an issue. Its not neccessarily like that on yours though.

Don't take too much off!

-- Tim.
Old 21st Aug 2007, 8:31 am   #3
newtothis
Retired Dormant Member

Unhappy Re: Bush VHF61

HI
Thanks for info.
What i mean by naff is that the previous owner has had a go at these knobs and the result is that half the decrotative chrome is missing, and the plastic is distorted. Anyone got any spares to restore this radio to its former glory.

AP:
Old 21st Aug 2007, 3:58 pm   #4
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

It's a long time since I've owned a VHF61 but I'm just wondering Alan, does your radio have the correct knobs fitted ?

I seem to recall the brights of the VHF61 knobs had a brassy finish rather than chrome. Can someone confirm or otherwise ?
Old 21st Aug 2007, 4:56 pm   #5
TimS
Pentode

Mine is brass, like this one
http://www.jhorne62.freeserve.co.uk/...bush_vhf61.htm
Old 21st Aug 2007, 9:36 pm   #6
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Mine is brass, although a little worn, I think mine might also be one of the last vhf61's that Darren owned.
Old 23rd Aug 2007, 3:25 pm   #7
Robert Darwent
Heptode

I have two Bush VHF61's. Both of my sets have chrome brights on the knobs. So it seems likely that the set was available with both brass and chrome trim in a similar way that the Bush produced brass and chrome trim versions of its classic TR82 model. Anyone know that for certain though?

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 23rd Aug 2007, 7:46 pm   #8
TimS
Pentode

Also some sets have white(ish) knobs and some have brown.

-- Tim.
Closed Thread