UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Jul 2007, 11:14 am   #1
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Default Yellow carpenter's wood glue

Hi,

What's the difference between yellow and white wood glue .

Apparently, after some web trawling, I need yellow (not white) wood glue to stick down loose veneer. I've only ever seen white and wouldn't even know where to get the yellow variety.

David
Old 27th Jul 2007, 12:59 pm   #2
peter_scott
Dekatron

Default Re: Yellow carpenter's wood glue

Is, perhaps, the yellow, the stuff made from boiled up cows hooves that needs to be heated in a cast iron glue pot ...and the white just the usual modern PVA?

Peter

http://www.secondhandtools.co.uk/ww14en.htm
http://www.thebestthings.com/newtools/hide_glue.htm

Last edited by peter_scott; 27th Jul 2007 at 1:05 pm.
Old 27th Jul 2007, 1:07 pm   #3
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

I think the yellow and white varieties are both PVA type glues with different properties, This site describes the various types:-

http://www.diyinfo.org/wiki/Types_Of_Glue

Regards, Mick.
Old 27th Jul 2007, 1:53 pm   #4
Gavtech
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickjjo View Post
I think the yellow and white varieties are both PVA type glues with different properties, This site describes the various types:-

http://www.diyinfo.org/wiki/Types_Of_Glue

Regards, Mick.
Slightly off-topic...
There is a part in that article, where he is talking about Epoxies, that seems counter-intuitive to me:
''Another aspect I like is that you can deliberately adjust the mixing ratio to achieve different cured resin properties. More resin will increase the hardness and tensile strength, while more hardener will increase the elasticity or the cured glue''
I think I would have expected that to be the other way around... or is it a simple error?

Regards
Gavin
Old 27th Jul 2007, 1:58 pm   #5
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

I'm pretty usre that the terms "white glue" and yellow glue" are from the USA. I've never been quite sure about the UK equivalents. I think that white glue is PVA glue such Evostick Resin W.
Old 27th Jul 2007, 2:02 pm   #6
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Thanks for the replies

I've done some more web searching and I think I've answered my own question. It seems like white glue is PVA based and yellow glue is aliphatic resin (whatever that is ) based.

Thanks
David

Old 27th Jul 2007, 2:36 pm   #7
GMB
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavtech View Post
''Another aspect I like is that you can deliberately adjust the mixing ratio to achieve different cured resin properties. More resin will increase the hardness and tensile strength, while more hardener will increase the elasticity or the cured glue''
I think I would have expected that to be the other way around... or is it a simple error?
The confusion is caused by the mislabelling of one of the components as "hardener" which implies it's a catalyst like that used for GRP. With epoxy the two components react which each other and so are mixed in equal quantities (although what they do to them to make them look equal I don't know). Some manufacturers just call them A and B, so it all depends on which is which, but adjusting the ratio slightly is a legitimate way to adjust the property of the result.
Closed Thread